Ubuntu 17.04 PPA; sabnzbd executable seems to be missing!

Support for the Debian/Ubuntu package, created by JCFP.
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
spanky85

Ubuntu 17.04 PPA; sabnzbd executable seems to be missing!

Post by spanky85 »

Hi, I just updated to Ubuntu 17.04 and have re-enabled the jcfp PPA, and confirmed sabnzbd is installed and up to date according to apt... but after an embarrassingly long time trying to figure out why it's not starting up, I've found that actually the executable isn't there!

It's meant to be installed to /usr/bin/sabnzbdplus by default, but that file definitely isn't there now. And it doesn't seem to be anywhere!

Code: Select all

xxx@xxx:~$ sudo find / -iname 'sabnzbdplus' -print
/etc/default/sabnzbdplus
/etc/init.d/sabnzbdplus
I still have the init script, defaults file, user, home directory and all configuration. Just not the actual executable (and presumably the other stuff the executable has alongside it).

Any idea what's happened, and how to fix it? I don't want to go removing and reinstalling the package just in case it also removes the existing configuration!
jcfp
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Ubuntu 17.04 PPA; sabnzbd executable seems to be missing

Post by jcfp »

spanky85 wrote:I still have the init script, defaults file, user, home directory and all configuration.
All of these would remain even if sabnzbdplus were uninstalled. The deb does have all the usual stuff in it too, see https://paste.ubuntu.com/24729977/

Best guess: it's not installed. Please do enlighten us with the output of the following commands:

apt-cache policy sabnzbdplus

dpkg -L sabnzbdplus
spanky85

Post by spanky85 »

Goodness. That's rather embarrassing. It got uninstalled somehow, and bafflingly I thought I had already verified that it was still installed. I blame new-baby-induced sleep deprivation. Thank you for your reply, and thank you in advance for not berating and humiliating me ;)

Note to future users; if the home directory and so on are still present after an uninstall, it's safe to simply install again; it'll pick up exactly where it left off.
knelmes

Post by knelmes »

spanky, thanks for posting this. When I did the upgrade I spotted a message saying it would be removed and wasn't sure what to do but you're right, you can just reinstall (after re-adding the ppa)