Cannot access web interface

Support for the Debian/Ubuntu package, created by JCFP.
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
skycrzr

Cannot access web interface

Post by skycrzr »

I am using Ubuntu 16.04 (headless, minimal install, NO iptables) and am doing everything from an ssh client on another computer in the same local network (192.168.0.0/24)

Ubuntu Server: 192.168.0.250
Local workstation: 192.168.0.2

For reference, I used this guide: www dot linuxbabe dot com slash ubuntu slash install-sabnzbd-ubuntu-16-04 (I had to remove most of the URL because I am a new user)

When I get to the portion of the guide where we manually start sabnzbd for the first time, I use the following:

sabnzbdplus -d -s 192.168.0.250:8080 --browser 0

This is so I can access the web interface on the workstation. This works great, and I can complete the wizard. I verify the configuration on the web inteface says host is 192.168.0.250 and port says 8080.

The issue arises after creating the sabnzbd user and adding the daemon, and starting the service or restarting the OS. For whatever reason, I am no longer able to access the web interface from the local workstation. The only time I can get the web interface is if I use " sabnzbdplus -d -s 192.168.0.250:8080 --browser 0"

~/.sabnzbd/sabnzbd.ini - I have tried setting the host to both 192.168.0.250 as well as 0.0.0.0, restarting the service, and this did not help.
/etc/default/sabnzbdplus - I have tried setting the host to 0.0.0.0 and 192.168.0.250, restarting the service, and this did not help either.

I suspect the issue in the guide is the section where we edit the /etc/systemd/system/sabnzbd.service file... the guide says to use the following command to start sabnzbd:

ExecStart=/usr/bin/python -OO /usr/bin/sabnzbdplus --browser 0 &

I see nothing in this execution that specifies the host IP. Even still, I left it alone, and ensured the config file said 0.0.0.0 or 192.168.0.250. (neither worked)

Netstat does not show anything listening on 192.168.0.250:8080 when I start the service (only shows this entry when I run the daemon manually with that above command)

Any ideas? I am at a loss.

Thank you!
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Cannot access web interface

Post by sander »

So you followed https://www.linuxbabe.com/ubuntu/instal ... untu-16-04 ?

You say nothing is listening on port 8080. How did you check? Maybe like this:

Code: Select all

sudo netstat -apon | grep :8080
Is SABnzbd running at all if you start it via systemd? Check with

Code: Select all

ps -ef | grep -i sabnzbd
skycrzr

Re: Cannot access web interface

Post by skycrzr »

Yes, that is the URL I used. I use 'netstat -anp' to check port status.

However, I've fixed the issue. There were a couple of problems I think, but I didn't troubleshoot deep enough confirm which scenario it was (or both)

I uninstalled everything, deleted the config directory and files, and started over.

This time I bypassed the section where you add the daemon to startup. I guess the author didn't realize that sabnzbdplus from the standard Ubuntu repositories already contains/creates a start up script... so instead I just added the script the traditional way instead of the way they described.

sudo update-rc.d sabnzbdplus defaults

In addition, the guide doesn't make note that you must fill out the REQUIRED "USER=" field in /etc/default/sabnzbdplus - I added the sabnzb user I made to that line. Left everything else the same.

Lastly, I think it might have been permission issue as well. When I first ran the sabnzbdplus wizard, I did so while the service was running as root user, thus creating all ~/.sabnzbd/ stuff owned by root.

I'd try to isolate it but I don't want to mess with anything, its working! :D

Thank you for the quick response sander.

sky