SabNZBd Crashing Synology Box...

Support for the Debian/Ubuntu package, created by JCFP.
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
Hoe

SabNZBd Crashing Synology Box...

Post by Hoe »

Hey all,

I am hoping someone can help me here as Synology are washing their hands of it and I am running out of option and really want to avoid resetting my NAS!

First let me explain the problem, my NAS (Synology DS918+ latest DSM) keeps dropping network connection and then either takes hours to turn off or never turns off so I have to kill the power and restart it, this only happens when SabNZBd is downloading though?!

I have had it installed on the NAS Package Center for the last 2 or 3 years without an issue and before that it was on Docker on the same NAS.

Synology Support told me I had to remove all unsupported applications from the device to get support, so I removed it and set it back up from scratch on Docker along with a few other apps however the problem persists?!

It's worth noting I had already just about established it only happened when Sab is downloading just before I moved it to docker, so I intentionally set all the apps up from scratch again no DB nothing so that nothing historical came over which could cause the problem so I don't think it's that.

The other thing worth mentioning is this all started around a month ago when I setup BitWarden Server on my NAS, this took a few attempts as there was a umber of hurdles but in the end I got the official version working through Docker too, one thing I notice is that this has ports using 5000 which is the DSM Default port but that's only within the container which in my mind is like a VM in that sense so not an issue, the Ports are mapped differently in Docker once it get to LAN.

What I find interesting about BW is though it sets up lots of containers 10 in total which communicate with each other, I think using this port 5000 in some case but they also have their own networks...

docker_detault
172.18.0.0/16

docker_public
172.19.0.0/16

However Sab and my other apps are on...

bride
172.17.0.0/16

To get BW to work I had to unblock the ranges above from the Synology FW which isn't public facing to not really an issue, I can probably limit this just to the public range but I haven't tested or confirmed that yet.

Also a number of times after I have reset the bock the bitwarden-nginx container breaks and I need to rebuild the package to get it working again if this is a symptom of the issues or the subsequent reset I can't be sure but I would go with the latter on the basis it does not break every time in fact it's quite rare.

Anyway as I am sure you'll understand I am really really keen to get this sorted ASAP, I s**t myself every time I have to reset it and am half expecting the RAID to die, this cannot be allowed to happen!!!

Synology are advising me to reset the OS settings and start again but I have a lot of customizations over the years and in addition I want to test a restore first someone else before I brace that option.

Oh one other thing worth mentioning, I tried the Synology Download Station, ran a big download completed no issue, so I don't think there is a HDD problem, also Smart and relevant other checks all report A-OK!

Hope someone can help!

Thanks

Hoe.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: SabNZBd Crashing Synology Box...

Post by sander »

Weird. A user application that can crash an OS, is an OS problem. And an OS problem can be tackled by a refresh install. And you understandably don't want that.

Anyway: if you want to keep your config, you ... might ... try ... nzbget. If it works, you have a solution. If it crashes your Synology too, it is not a SAB caused problem, but AnyApp overloading your system / network-interface.
Hoe

Post by Hoe »

That is an option but I have used Sab for so long I am kinda attached to it, but I forgot that app so thanks maybe useful.

I also don't like to give up so I want to solve the puzzle lol, I'll keep hunting for now as at least I know how to mitigate by leaving Sab paused, just figured I'd post in case anyone else spots something I haven't or has had this before.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

please let us know if running with nzbget works OK, or gives a lockup too ...
Hoe

Post by Hoe »

Hi Sander,

Sorry to report that this also locks the machine up! :(

Thanks

Hoe.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

Hoe wrote: July 14th, 2020, 4:18 pm Hi Sander,

Sorry to report that this also locks the machine up! :(

Thanks

Hoe.
Well ... sorry to say ... but that makes me glad; it proofs it's not a SAB problem. ;)

Both SABnzbd and NZBget can cause heavy network and CPU and OS load. If an OS can't handle that, there is problem in the OS or the hardware.
Hoe

Post by Hoe »

Thought you might say something like that, it must be OS then, I have checked the RAM 10x with no issues and HDD's all seems fine too according to both SMART and Seagates IronWolf checks.

It's also been running on this box for years so it's not under resources, I even tried putting a resource limit on it in Docker just to rule it out.

I think I am just going to have to bit the bullet and reset the OS and set it all up again! YAY! :(

Feek, gonna be a really long weekend I think! :(
Hoe

Post by Hoe »

I found the cause (yay), it turns out there is a bug wit Link Aggregation now effecting ASUS Routers & Synology NAS, I think it's a recent Router Firmware which has introduced the problem.

Anyway when it bugs it completely ruins the network stack on the NAS which then needs a reboot, I have since disabled the feature and it's rock solid again! :)

I do have one other question though, I installed Organizer in docker last night and I can't get it to access Sab because of host whilelist, can I confirm that entries in this field should be Comma Seperated please?!

Also can you tell me is wild cars work as this may help, currently it's setup like following...

SabNZBd.MyDomain.me
Organizr.MyDomain.me

That's done using reverse proxy but putting in "SabNZBd.MyDomain.me, Organizer.MyDomain.me" does not work, can I use "*.MyDomain.me"?!

Is there anywhere in the logs (I can't see it) where you can see what domains it is rejecting because Organizr should be reporting as Organizr.MyDomain.me but I am not sure it is so this maybe the problem?!

Thanks

Hoe.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

Ah, good to hear!

Easiest way (to avoid whitelist at all): use IP address to access SABnzbd.

You cannot use wild cards

On the client side, you get "Access denied - Hostname verification failed: https://sabnzbd.org/hostname-check"

On the SAB server side: "Refused connection with hostname" plus the hostname tried will be logged in the GUI and sabnzbd.log
Hoe

Post by Hoe »

I want it all HTTPS Secures which I can't do properly on IP, I have a reverse proxy setup so that I don't have to manage loads of Certs & I have a wildcard cert so no plans to change.

I can get to it fine on sabnzbd.MyDomain.me just not from without Organizr, just need to figure out what host name its thinks it it, I'll hunt through the log maybe I missed it, to confirm the response I get is...

sabnzbd.MyDomain.me refused to connect.
ERR_BLOCKED_BY_RESPONSE

Thanks

Hoe.
Hoe

Post by Hoe »

Yeah that's not helpful! :(

2020-07-20 17:18:15,599::INFO::[interface:722] Successful login from 172.17.0.1 (X-Forwarded-For: 10.8.0.1)
2020-07-20 18:45:40,302::INFO::[interface:722] Successful login from 172.17.0.1 (X-Forwarded-For: 10.0.0.10)

And I already tried adding 172.17.0.1 but it didn't work, will try the LAN & VPN IP's listed above, can you put a range in?!

Failing that Is there anyway to disable the verification entirely?!

Thanks

Hoe.