(Unofficial) Ubuntu repository for SABnzbd+

Support for the Debian/Ubuntu package, created by JCFP.
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
rascalli

Re: (Unofficial) Ubuntu repository for SABnzbd+

Post by rascalli »

you can also solve this problem by putting absolute paths in your .ini
jcfp
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by jcfp »

jrebeiro, thanks for your report. I guess it's clear by now how the program creates its directories relative to the location of the ini unless, as Rascalli already indicated, an absolute path is given. That "/etc" remains in the web interface imho is not a bug: this is useful information to anybody that might want to change these settings.
jrebeiro wrote:Also, the init.d script should report [FAILED] rather than [OK] in this scenario.
As for this: the init script relies on the program's return value (exit status); non-zero indicates some kind of failure. In this case the result is a confusing situation with the program giving an error while the script claims all is fine. Problem is that the program's code doesn't treat this particular condition with the log dir as an error when exiting, giving it a seemingly clean exit from the perspective of the script.

I'll file a bug report.
Last edited by jcfp on January 10th, 2009, 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jrebeiro

Post by jrebeiro »

rascalli wrote: you can also solve this problem by putting absolute paths in your .ini
Thats what I ended up doing.. I guess it's just slightly confusing in the web GUI where in folder configuration is says "In /etc/". This may just be a skin issue..

Anyway... everything is working fine once I set absolute paths. Thanks for creating the package!

The bugfix should be easy enough... sys.exit(!0) :)
Usenet

Post by Usenet »

Thank you for a great guide and work! Got all working running as a daemon in just a few minutes. I feel the plush skin are much mores responsive and the download speed way better (20 vs 60Mbps!) than running the same version under winXP (just replaced XP with Ubuntu8.10).

:D
typhoe

Post by typhoe »

Hi jcfp,

I'm a new user of sabnzbd+ and just tried your "quick how to" on an ubuntu intrepid server install.

A few remarks if you allow me:

For a really "fresh" user of sabnzbd, you should add a notice that when trying to run as a daemon (using the script provided), the url to connect is http://hostname:port/sabnzbd/
Well, I didn't found this info until I tried to launch sabnzbd with the command line and not the daemon script (with the command line, w3c is started and goes directly to the right page).
I know it's certainly indicated in the documentation (RTFM) but... well, you know :p

Anyway, thank you for the deb package.

Regards,
Typhoe
jcfp
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by jcfp »

typhoe wrote:For a really "fresh" user of sabnzbd, you should add a notice that when trying to run as a daemon (using the script provided), the url to connect is http://hostname:port/sabnzbd/
I'll expand the init.d related info a bit. I bet you ran into the infamous empty page after forgetting about the sabnzbd part of the url. ;D

Thanks all for the feedback.
azbot

Post by azbot »

Hi

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post feedback on so please move if necessary.

I've just moved to Ubuntu from Mac OSX. I'd been using SAB for some time and was missing it so decided to install on my box which is running Ubuntu Jaunty. I'm fairly new to Ubuntu in general so it's been 'fun'.

I followed the instructions at the beginning of this thread and all went smoothly, however when I invoked SAB from the CLI the browser (Firefox) would not connect. The daemon was working fine but http://localhost:8080/sabnzbd/ threw up an error page.

After reading through the thread more I was able to connect the browser with http://[::1]:8080/sabnzbd/ not that I understand this link. I then configured my host to 0.0.0.0 which allowed me to connect in the browser with the standard 'localhost' address.

It's all working now, I have not set up the init.d file as I prefer to start and stop the daemon as needed, I've added an alias to my .bashrc file and now typing 'sab' launches the program with the -d switch.

I wanted to post this info as it may be helpful to others, I'm not sure if my experience is specific to this machine (an old Packard Bell laptop), a 'Jaunty' issue or a general newb one.

Any feedback would be appreciated and I'm happy to provide more info if necessary.

Thanks for all your effort with getting this great program working with Ubuntu, personally I'd like to see it as part of a standard install ;o)
Blessings All Round
jcfp
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by jcfp »

azbot wrote:The daemon was working fine but http://localhost:8080/sabnzbd/ threw up an error page. [...] I was able to connect the browser with http://[::1]:8080/sabnzbd/ not that I understand this link. I then configured my host to 0.0.0.0 which allowed me to connect in the browser with the standard 'localhost' address.
Apparently it is listening on the ipv6 localhost [::1] on your system. Couldn't reproduce that behaviour on a daily jaunty live cd, everything installed and loaded just fine with the program listening on (ipv4) localhost. The way in which the program is started shouldn't make a difference with your problem, just a matter of personal preference.

Note that 0.0.0.0 allows for remote connections, try setting the hostname to 127.0.0.1 for added security if you only want to use it locally. I assume you are aware that jaunty/9.04 is still in "alpha", so things can break at any time and running it as your everyday system is,.. uhm..., quite adventurous.
azbot wrote:Thanks for all your effort with getting this great program working with Ubuntu, personally I'd like to see it as part of a standard install ;o)
Slowly getting there, the package has been accepted (without the plush templates for the time being) so all that remains is a volunteer to create a petition with 100.000+ signatures urging the Ubuntu core developers to reserve some space for it on the live-cd ;)
azbot

Post by azbot »

Thanks for the feedback and advice. I've changed to 127.0.0.1 as suggested. My Jaunty setup was from an upgraded Intrepid and does have it's 'quirks' but this seemed like a fun way to get stuck into Ubuntu. I am personally amazed that after weeks of nightly updates that I still have a working stable system.

Put me down for being part of the 100,000+ when it happens  :)
Blessings All Round
jcfp
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by jcfp »

Version 0.4.7 has arrived, the sabnbzdplus package has been accepted into Ubuntu's official repositories, and meanwhile the operators of the Launchpad PPA service have been making some changes of their own as well. As a result, the instructions in the start post have been updated; for existing users, upgrading the package will automatically adjust your systems to the new situation:
  • PPAs are finally signed. Meaning, no more annoying warnings about unauthenticated packages after the proper gpg key has been added to the apt keyring. (handled automatically)
  • Some bright mind at Launchpad decided to make a slight change to the PPA urls, with only a limited time grace period. (handled automatically)
  • The priority of several dependencies (par2, unzip, unrar) has been changed; as a result not having Ubuntu's multiverse repository enabled during install will cause the main sabnzbdplus package to fail with a dependency error about unrar. If this happens to you, enable multiverse, (re)run 'sudo apt-get update', then pick up with the install instructions where you left off.
  • Jaunty only: sabnzbdplus-theme-* packages now use packaged versions of various javascript libraries, please do report any problems.
  • Supported python versions have been explicitly limited to exclude 2.6.
  • In case the same version of sabnzbdplus is available in both the PPA and the official repositories, the latter take precedence.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Thanks for all your great work (and stamina).
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

jcfp, thank you for all your work!
Please don't send me unrequested PM's; the forum is the best way to communicate.
If someone helps you, please reply to that help.
f you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
bas r

Post by bas r »

Great stuff what you're doing. Until today I used a .deb that someone compiles, http://bas-r.nl/?p=9.
Unfortunately the key isn't working in my case. When I apt-get update, I get :

Code: Select all

W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net intrepid Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 4874D3686E80C6B7

Anyone else suffering from that? Or even better, does anyone know how to get around this?
jcfp
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by jcfp »

bas r wrote:Unfortunately the key isn't working in my case. When I apt-get update, I get:

W: GPG error [...] NO_PUBKEY 4874D3686E80C6B7
That public key belongs to the "banshee-team" repository, also hosted at ppa.launchpad.net. Existing users of PPAs will get warnings like the one you posted, until the relevant public key is added to their apt keyring; the second command in the manual is a nice example of how to do this. To see what public keys are currently known to apt, run:

sudo apt-key list
The latest version of the package automates this, so for anybody that installed version 0.4.7, one of the entries should be:
pub  1024R/4BB9F05F 2009-01-20
uid                  Launchpad PPA for jcfp
bas r

Post by bas r »

You're absolutely right: I thought something went wrong importing the sab-key, but it's my banshee key that doesn't work. (it says newbie underneath my name. That's for a reason  :-[ )

The 0.4.7 version is now up and running here, thanks for all the great work!