Any disadvantages to running from source?

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
ED4Q4tM8DF

Any disadvantages to running from source?

Post by ED4Q4tM8DF »

I'm running Fedora 24 and I have sabnzbd setup to run from source. I changed logging to debug and ran sab for a while and when I went back through the log I didn't see any errors. Is there anything else I should look at to make sure I'm "running clean"? When I read through the readme and install files one of the dependencies listed was python-support which I couldn't find in the repos. Will this cause me any issues down the road? And finally, other than no automatic updates I was wondering if there are any disadvantages to running sab from source?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm trying to make sure I have all my bases covered before switching my "production box" to Fedora.
jcfp
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Any disadvantages to running from source?

Post by jcfp »

Nothing major beyond convenience, provided you have good enough skills on your operating system of choice (and a bit of common sense). No need to do extensive debugging runs when things appear to work, issues are usually fairly obvious (tracebacks, performance problems, etc.).
ED4Q4tM8DF

Re: Any disadvantages to running from source?

Post by ED4Q4tM8DF »

Cool that's what I was hoping to hear.

I really just did the extra debugging to make sure I didn't have any dependency issues. I'm switching from Ubuntu to Fedora and there don't seem to be any RC builds for Fedora so I thought I'd try running from source. So far so good. :)