Losing connection to web interface, even on home computer [TLSV1_ALERT_UNKNOWN_CA]

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
ykjr101

Losing connection to web interface, even on home computer [TLSV1_ALERT_UNKNOWN_CA]

Post by ykjr101 »

Code: Select all

WARNING an hour ago [04/Dec/2020:03:26:15] ENGINE socket. error 1
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "cheroot\server. py", line 1267, in communicate
  File "cheroot\server. py", line 702, in parse_request
  File "cheroot\server. py", line 743, in read_request_line
  File "cheroot\server. py", line 300, in readline
  File "_pyio. py", line 557, in readline
  File "_pyio. py", line 536, in nreadahead
  File "_pyio. py", line 1129, in peek
  File "_pyio. py", line 1136, in _peek_unlocked
  File "socket .py", line 669, in readinto
  File "ssl. py", line 1241, in recv_into
  File "ssl .py", line 1099, in read
ssl. SSLError: [SSL: TLSV1_ALERT_UNKNOWN_CA] tlsv1 alert unknown ca (_ssl.c:2623)
WARNING 4 hours ago [04/Dec/2020:00:25:41] ENGINE socket. error 1
  File "cheroot\server .py", line 702, in parse_request
  File "_pyio .py", line 1129, in peek
  File "_pyio .py", line 1136, in _peek_unlocked
  File "socket. py", line 669, in readinto
  File "ssl. py", line 1099, in read
ssl. SSLError: [SSL: TLSV1_ALERT_UNKNOWN_CA] tlsv1 alert unknown ca (_ssl.c:2623)
WARNING 5 hours ago [03/Dec/2020:23:43:40] ENGINE socket. error 1
  File "cheroot\server. py", line 702, in parse_request
  File "_pyio .py", line 536, in nreadahead
  File "socket .py", line 669, in readinto
  File "ssl .py", line 1241, in recv_into
  File "ssl .py", line 1099, in read
WARNING 7 hours ago [03/Dec/2020:21:25:07] ENGINE socket. error 1
  File "cheroot\ server. py", line 1267, in communicate
  File "cheroot\ server .py", line 702, in parse_request
  File "cheroot\ server. py", line 743, in read_request_line
  File "cheroot\ server. py", line 300, in readline
  File "_pyio .py", line 557, in readline
  File "socket. py", line 669, in readinto
  File "ssl. py", line 1099, in read
I keep getting that warning every few hours and I can't figure out why but I think it has to do with me losing access to the web interface both locally and eventually even from the home machine. I can see SABnzbd running and I can pause it with the icon but I can't access the interface until I restart it. I had to add some spaces to the log because the forum was acting like they were links and wouldn't let me post.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Losing connection to web interface, even on home computer [TLSV1_ALERT_UNKNOWN_CA]

Post by sander »

Is your SABnzbd reachable from Internet?

If so, the TLSV1_ALERT_UNKNOWN_CA is probably caused by nasty scanner / robot.

And ... really? Do you really loose the connection? You mean, after that, you can't access SABnzbd anymore? That should not happen. If so; which webbrowser do you use?
freds

Re: Losing connection to web interface, even on home computer [TLSV1_ALERT_UNKNOWN_CA]

Post by freds »

I am getting this exact same error every hour or so. It started a few days ago. I haven't made any changes to my usenet accounts. But Radarr updated recently. Could that my causing a problem?
When the error occurs, the web page (which is local, on the same pc as sab) stops updating. Once I close the window and restart Sab (by right clicking, troubleshoot, restart), then reopen the interface, it works fine until the next error. My Sab is not accessible to the outside.
freds

Post by freds »

Well, I may have figured out the problem. When I said Sab isn't accessible outside my network, I meant that I don't log into it from outside. But I did have the checkbox checked next to "Enable HTTPS" in the General Settings tab. I thought I had this checked so my indexer site could send NZBs to Sab...now I'm not sure.
But I unchecked that box and have not had an error in a couple hours. My indexer has not needed to send NZBs to Sab during that time, so i don't know if that still works or not.
freds

Post by freds »

So it looks like unchecking that HTTPS box prevents adding nzbs from sonarr/radarr and from my indexers website. i can still download the nzb and click it to add it to my Sab queue.
ykjr101

Post by ykjr101 »

sander wrote: December 4th, 2020, 7:05 am Is your SABnzbd reachable from Internet?

If so, the TLSV1_ALERT_UNKNOWN_CA is probably caused by nasty scanner / robot.

And ... really? Do you really loose the connection? You mean, after that, you can't access SABnzbd anymore? That should not happen. If so; which webbrowser do you use?
Usually only reachable right after a restart of SABnzbd.

What does that mean? Some program is stopping the traffic?

I can't access it at all. I see the process in task manager and I can right click the icon in Windows and still control SABnzbd but the web interface keeps loading with no end. I'm using Chrome right now and it isn't accessible with NZB360 or with Chrome on my phone, whether I'm using the local network or 4G.

Also SABnzbd has no problems downloading files. Sonarr and Radarr have no problems grabbing nzb files and sending them to SABnzbd. And Sonarr and Radarr have no problems being accessed outside the network.

EDIT: Now I can't seem to even get a connection on the local network. Only on the PC that SABnzbd is running on.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

EDIT: Now I can't seem to even get a connection on the local network. Only on the PC that SABnzbd is running on.
Oh, you can access SABnzbd?! From your local computer it works? ... does that change your title?

Please be clear and specific.
ykjr101

Post by ykjr101 »

sander wrote: December 5th, 2020, 2:14 am

Oh, you can access SABnzbd?! From your local computer it works? ... does that change your title?

Please be clear and specific.
Only right after restarting SABnzbd, after a few hours I can no longer access the interface
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

OK, that's clear.

First setting SAB's logging to +Debug (via the Wrench). Let SAB run until you get the error again.

Then, On the computer running SABnzbd, find the file sabnzb.log. You can get it via the webinterface : Wrench in upper right corner -> Status tab -> Show logging. That will download the file. Post the last two pages on pastebin, and post the URL here with space around the dots (you're a new user, so otherwise spam protection kick in).
Or get the file via File Explorer.: %userprofile%\AppData\Local\sabnzbd\logs\sabnzbd.log
That way we can analyze way is going and probably solve it. Better for you and SABnzbd.

Or if you do not want that, just want SABnzbd working again, do this: in SAB's webinterface http://127.0.0.1:8080/config/general/, uncheck "Enable HTTPS", and restart SABnzbd, and you will not get the error anymore. Maybe much easier.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

FWIW: TLSV1_ALERT_UNKNOWN_CA ... if it is really TLSv1 (not TLSv1.2 or higher), it's a very old, unsafe protocol. It would mean some old outdated client (web browser, or API) is accessing SAB. It might also be a very bad firewall/virusscanner acting as a man in the middle (which is bad by itself).

Unchecking "Enable HTTPS" will make it go away.
artificer88

[WARNING] ENGINE socket.error 1 throwing randomly [TLSV1_ALERT_UNKNOWN_CA]

Post by artificer88 »

Hey All,

Not sure what's happening here, but sabnzbd is throwing warnings, with no particular cadence that I can discern, that all look like the below (note, had to take out some periods here because the forum thinks I'm posting links):

2020-12-04 23:23:37,708::WARNING::[_cplogging:213] [04/Dec/2020:23:23:37] ENGINE socket.error 1
  File "cheroot\serverpy", line 1267, in communicate
  File "cheroot\serverpy", line 702, in parse_request
  File "cheroot\serverpy", line 743, in read_request_line
  File "cheroot\serverpy", line 300, in readline
  File "_pyiopy", line 557, in readline
  File "_pyiopy", line 536, in nreadahead
  File "_pyiopy", line 1129, in peek
  File "_pyiopy", line 1136, in _peek_unlocked
  File "socketpy", line 669, in readinto
  File "sslpy", line 1241, in recv_into
  File "sslpy", line 1099, in read
sslSSLError: [SSL: TLSV1_ALERT_UNKNOWN_CA] tlsv1 alert unknown ca (_ssl.c:2623)

2020-12-05 02:23:41,957::WARNING::[_cplogging:213] [05/Dec/2020:02:23:41] ENGINE socket.error 1
  File "cheroot\serverpy", line 1267, in communicate
  File "cheroot\serverpy", line 702, in parse_request
  File "cheroot\serverpy", line 743, in read_request_line
  File "cheroot\serverpy", line 300, in readline
  File "_pyiopy", line 557, in readline
  File "_pyiopy", line 536, in nreadahead
  File "_pyiopy", line 1129, in peek
  File "_pyiopy", line 1136, in _peek_unlocked
  File "socketpy", line 669, in readinto
  File "sslpy", line 1241, in recv_into
  File "sslpy", line 1099, in read
sslSSLError: [SSL: TLSV1_ALERT_UNKNOWN_CA] tlsv1 alert unknown ca (_ssl.c:2623)
Basic System Specs:
Windows-10-10.0.18362 (win64)
Ryzen 3950X
32 GB RAM
Nvidia 2080 Super
SABnzbd.exe-2.3.9
Python-version = 2.7.16 (v2.7.16:413a49145e, Mar 4 2019, 01:37:19) [MSC v.1500 64 bit (AMD64)]
Preferred encoding = cp1252
SSL version = OpenSSL 1.0.2q 20 Nov 2018

I'm not sure where to start with debugging this one, so any thoughts and advice here would be very welcome, please let me know if there's anything else I can provide! Thank you!
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

SABnzbd.exe-2.3.9? Upgrade to current version 3.1.1!
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

Triggered by that post: @ykjr101 ... what version of SABnzbd do you use? If not 3 ... same advice: upgrade to SAB 3.1.1
ykjr101

Post by ykjr101 »

sander wrote: December 5th, 2020, 4:26 am Triggered by that post: @ykjr101 ... what version of SABnzbd do you use? If not 3 ... same advice: upgrade to SAB 3.1.1
I'm on 3.1.1. I switched off HTTPS. I'll see how it goes the next few hours.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

ykjr101 wrote: December 5th, 2020, 4:29 am
I'm on 3.1.1. I switched off HTTPS. I'll see how it goes the next few hours.
For the record: were you already on 3.1.1? Of did you upgrade? If so ... from which version?