Sabnzbd upgrade in docker on Synology NAS (Docker)

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
spectrum25

Sabnzbd upgrade in docker on Synology NAS (Docker)

Post by spectrum25 »

Hi there, wondering if someone can help... I have Sabnzbd running in a docker container on my Synology NAS - it's a DS718+ running DSM7 and my Sabnzbd version is 3.1.1.

The interface is showing an update available to 3.4.0, are there any step by step instructions available anywhere to do the upgrade and save settings, config, etc? I can see the new container available for download in the docker registry but not sure of the easiest way to upgrade... perhaps just to setup a new container and copy over the settings file so it retains all my information?

I'm used to running pretty seamless updates in Windows but am struggling with the process since I've got it running on the NAS. Any help would be most appreciated.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Sabnzbd upgrade in docker on Synology NAS (Docker)

Post by sander »

It's essential that you're using Docker, so I've put that in the title.

The docker upgrade process should just update the docker container, and keep your settings ... those settings are outside the docker container.
spectrum25

Post by spectrum25 »

Ok it looks like I've went with the defaults, and as far as I can tell the config files seem to be located inside the container...

When I ssh into the NAS it shows the sabnzbd.ini file under volume1/docker/sabnzbd, does this mean that if I upgrade the container in docker it will blow away the settings I have?

Sorry if this is obvious... I'm new to using this and don't want to upgrade losing what I already have set up.
spectrum25

Post by spectrum25 »

Anyone any further information to help... I guess worst case I just upgrade and lose all the settings and re-enter them. Would copying the docker/sabnzbd folder off the nas and restoring it in the new container do the trick... it contains the admin folder, logs, as well as the sabnzbd.ini in the root.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

I have nothing else to say than viewtopic.php?p=125735#p125735
as far as I can tell the config files seem to be located inside the container...
Well, if you say so, my statement is not true. And if you're correct, the whole point of docker is gone. So make up your mind.
I guess worst case I just upgrade and lose all the settings and re-enter them.
Indeed. So you have to determine yourself: it is worth the risk? ;)

By making the step, you'll find out how/if it works.
Mandarin

Post by Mandarin »

To update to a new image of SABNZBD on Synology and retain all your settings do the following.....

Open Docker
Click on the Container tab
In the Container tab click on your current Sabnzbd container
Stop the currently running (old) version of Sabnzbd "Action / Stop"
Click "Edit"
Rename the container i.e. Sabnzbd-Backup
Select the "Sabnzbd-Backup" entry
Click "Settings"
Click "Duplicate Settings"
Enter your new container name i.e. "Sabnzbd" which will create a new container for your new updated image
Click "Apply"

Click on the Docker Registry tab
Search for the new image i.e. "Sabnzbd"
Double click the image you need and it will download, overwriting the old image

Click the "Container" Tab
Start the new "Sabnzbd" container which should start with all previous settings intact and using the new downloaded image

I think in theory you can skip the container backup step and just download / update the image from the registry however better to be safe than sorry!
colinrobinson

Post by colinrobinson »

Mandarin wrote: October 30th, 2021, 11:07 am To update to a new image of SABNZBD on Synology and retain all your settings do the following.....
<snip>

I think in theory you can skip the container backup step and just download / update the image from the registry however better to be safe than sorry!
This worked well for me with one exception. When I duplicated the settings, it set the port(s) to Auto in the new container, since the old container (sabnzbd-backup) was still configured with those ports. So when you run the new container, you won't be able to reach it at the old port. Either 1) change the ports on the old container and then edit the new container and put the proper ports in, or 2) just blow away the old container and put the correct ports in the new container.