Cloud Install

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
bmanusenet

Cloud Install

Post by bmanusenet »

Hi,

I was wondering if it was possible to install Sabnzbd on something like Google Drive, or Dropbox or any of those?
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Cloud Install

Post by sander »

No, you can't. Reason: SABnzbd is an application (with some special requirements), and you can't run an application on Google Drive or Dropbox; they are just networked disk drives.

However, you can run SABnzbd on a VPS (Virtual Private Server) with at least 256MB real memory. Prices start at 4 USD per month.

HTH
bmanusenet

Post by bmanusenet »

Well I run a bunch of applications from Google Drive, they are portableapps.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

bmanusenet wrote:Well I run a bunch of applications from Google Drive, they are portableapps.
Oh? Enlighten me ...
bmanusenet

Post by bmanusenet »

Well, you can install the application Portable Apps to Drive, and that application installs/runs more applications. http://portableapps.com/

You can also find other known applications that have a portable version as well. I guess stating that, they don't exactly install, they just run. So I guess sab would need to be built like that.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

No, those portableapps run on your local computer, not in the cloud. They are only installed in the cloud (read: networked drive)

If you want to only install SABnzbd in the cloud, you can.

HTH
bmanusenet

Post by bmanusenet »

I guess I didn't explain myself good enough. Yes, I don't want to install it onto my system, of course I want to run it on my system.

The idea is, if I can get all my applications install to the cloud, when I do a fresh install/wipe....once I am back into the OS, all I have to do is nothing.

So your saying if I run the install for Sab, and direct it to install to a directory on my Google Drive, it will work?
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

Based on your portableapps, I assume you use Windows. Correct?

AFAIK, SABnzbd on Windows is only one directory with about 10 - 15 files. Correct?

If so, try running SABnzbd.exe from that directory.
If that works, experiment with the parameter -f pointing to a sabnzbd.ini in that same directory.
If that works, copy all files to your google drive, and you should be able to run from that google drive directory.

EDIT:

PS: be aware of folders/drives SABnzbd saves to. It would be nice if that would be to the google drive too, but probably your Internet connection is too slow for that. Only starting at 100 Mbps *upstream* I would dare to try.
bmanusenet

Post by bmanusenet »

Awesome, thanks for the help.

Will give that a try.
bmanusenet

Post by bmanusenet »

So I kinda just went for it, I copied the entire SABnzbd install over to my Google Drive, I then uninstalled SAB from Windows. I then ran the exe from within Google Drive, and it's running right now.

Of course, my downloads are still going to my local system, but that was never the intention. So far I am quite happy.

Once again, thanks for the help.
pmow
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by pmow »

You can download to your Google Drive folder. The folder is not in the cloud, it is a local directory that is synced to the cloud. Using it for frequently updated files is problematic, GDrive doesn't handle live data as well as say, Dropbox. Either way, you could simply backup your data instead of syncing it. This would give you the same benefit. www.crashplan.com - free for what you need
mptpro

Post by mptpro »

FYI, Plex runs "in the cloud" on Google Drive (not localy)
pmow
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by pmow »

mptpro wrote: August 13th, 2017, 7:38 pm FYI, Plex runs "in the cloud" on Google Drive (not localy)
No, Plex Cloud runs on Microsoft Azure servers (at least mine did) and simply connects to Google Drive via APIs. What sander said still applies.

If you really want to use Google Drive storage locally for sabnzbd, you can use the GDrive app, or use an app to mount your cloud storage. The problem with that is the same as Plex Cloud: it's super slow, it's not private, and when Google temporarily bans you, you lose your data.