Question about multiple providers

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
swankcr

Question about multiple providers

Post by swankcr »

Hello all!

I have been noticing that my primary provider (Astraweb) has been failing on a lot of downloads recently. So, I've been trying out alternate providers to get block access. So far, Tweaknews has been the best. That being said, they have pretty reasonable unlimited plans. So, I was just planning on getting another plan to supplement Astraweb. I'm figuring that the extra cost is minimal, and it would get me the security to know that my downloads are most likely to succeed.

Currently, I have Astraweb configured as primary. The backup box is checked in my configuration for Tweaknews. That seems to allow the download to fall back to Tweak in the event blocks are missing from Astraweb. What I'd like to know is, can I make them both primary and have them back eachother up? Or will a download with Astraweb not even check Tweak unless the backup box is checked in tweak's configuration? I figure making them both is primary would get me a speed boost, but my primary concern is the ability to grab missing blocks from Tweak.

Can someone tell me how that would work? What would the drawbacks be if both were made primary?
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Question about multiple providers

Post by shypike »

Both settings will work.
However when tweaknews is much slower than astraweb, making both primary might result in slower downloads.
Do you need astraweb anymore?
swankcr

Post by swankcr »

That's a good question to protect against missing blocks. I think I'd like at least two. I am us based so, I grabbed Astra originally because it was cheap and local. Tho I don't get the best transfer rates.
nobrumski

Post by nobrumski »

shypike wrote:Both settings will work.
However when tweaknews is much slower than astraweb, making both primary might result in slower downloads.
Do you need astraweb anymore?
I thought I read something to the effect that if you have two providers sabnzbd will grab what it can from the fastest ones. It won't however check the other provider for missing articles unless the second provider is marked as a backup. Am I wrong in this or did this change? I can't seem to dig up the link though so I may very well be misremembering.

I believe it was discussed in one of the threads about asking about the ability to rank provider priorities especially for backup servers. I just remember it sounding like ignoring potential speed issues it wasn't going to help with fills since it wouldn't try the other provider for missing articles unless they were flagged as a backup.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Both servers will be used, the fastest one will deliver most data.
If one primary misses an article, the other one will be tried.
Only after that do backup servers come in.
nobrumski

Post by nobrumski »

Ok thanks. Maybe I am thinking of the completion check then.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

The completion check works just like a download.