Recommended Hard Drive setup

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
JoshFink

Recommended Hard Drive setup

Post by JoshFink »

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me get the optimal setup to avoid the disk thrashing and pausing I'm getting.

Everything is running on a I5-2500K overclocked to 4.4Ghz

I have a setup where I have two "drives" in the system.

C: is an SSD where my OS runs as well as everything else
E: is a Drobo attached via USB 2 (I know, not my best decision) where all of the data lives

All of my folders are setup on C: except for the Completed Downloads folder is on E: I'm also using Sickbeard integration.

With this setup does this mean that it downloads to C: and then if unrars directly to E: and then sickbeard moves it to another drive on E: (that's where I have sickbeard moving it to)

I'm not sure if it's the repair or the unrar that is causing the pausing or slowness.

I can put in another hard drive or SSD if it will help but ultimately I need the files once they're unrar'd to be captured by Sickbeard and moved appropriately.

Thanks so much for the help

Josh
JoshFink

Re: Recommended Hard Drive setup

Post by JoshFink »

I've been doing some reading and I think I understand the process. I think

All files are downloaded to the "Temporary Directory" first and then unrarred to the "completed" directory. I had the Temp on C: and the completed on E: (the Drobo)

What I'm not sure is where sickbeard comes in because it ultimately knows where it needs to go.

I would guess that it goes from Temp to Completed to Sickbeard (wherever it moves to).

I've moved the Temp and Completed to the SSD on C: and then will let Sickbeard take over and hopefully move it to E: so it's not unrarring over the network to the slow Drobo.

Hopefully this fixes it a bit. Otherwise I'm going to have to get another faster NAS and move stuff off to that and get rid of the Drobo.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Unpacking to a network drive tends to be slow.
As far as I can tell this is some inherent problem with unrar.
So you solution to let SB do the plain copying to the network drive should help.
JoshFink

Post by JoshFink »

Thanks.. Hopefully it fixes it up.

Am I correct in my assumption that the way I have it set up to have the incomplete and complete folder on the SSD and then sickbeard will move it to the Drobo on E:?
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Yes, well depending on how you set up SickBeard.