Resource consumption during post-processing

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
noice

Resource consumption during post-processing

Post by noice »

Hello,

It seems that this topic has already been discussed years ago but I can't find a working answer to this problem:

Occasionally during post-processing (especially during par2 check), if I am watching another movie (from the same disk) at the same time, the movie starts to freeze... that's very annoying. It's not those small freezes but 10sec-long freezes with 1 image between each freeze >:(

I am on a high-profile machine (RAID0 disks, core i7, 6GB RAM) under Windows so I suspect that the process is junk either too much CPU or too much disk IOPS/bandwith.

Have you faced this issue? Do you know the cause, a workaround or a solution? (even if the solution is to rewrite par2 or unrar, what's exactly the root cause)

I've tried to set par2 CPU affinity especially to move the process out of Core0 but it didn't worked that well. I don't think CPU was the limiting factor but maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks!
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Resource consumption during post-processing

Post by shypike »

Disk access is often a bottleneck, especially because most operating systems
do not have proper disk capacity distribution.
par2, in combination with lengthy repairs and multi-core usage, can trash the disk.