RSS feeds matched, but not downloaded. Help please.

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
barrierfreeman
Release Testers
Release Testers

RSS feeds matched, but not downloaded. Help please.

Post by barrierfreeman »

Hi,

First off can I say what a great application SABnzbd+ is, and apart from one little problem I am having it has been worth Unison deciding to crash constantly on me to push me towards finding out about this very accomplished bit of software.

The issue is whereas SABnzbd+ is matching RSS feed filters I have set, it does not actually download them unless I hit the force download button. Which as you can imagine kind of removes the whole automation benefit of the app. The RSS feed is set up with http://tvbinz.net/rss.php and the filters show as matched when the preview button is press and as mentioned download when the forced download button is pressed. Any ideas what i need to do to get files downloading as they should be?

Here is what a sample filter that matched the rss, but did not download looks like:

p.s:

Version: 0.4.7
Install-type: OSX App
Skin: Default
Firewall Software: No
Are you using IPV6? No
Is the issue reproducible? Yes
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: RSS feeds matched, but not downloaded. Help please.

Post by shypike »

When you define a new RSS feed, the very first batch of matching jobs will not be downloaded.
This to prevent an large number of matches when the RSS feed has a long history.
All subsequent automatic scans will download any new matching jobs.
If you want the very first load tp, you need to use the "Force Download" button.
barrierfreeman
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by barrierfreeman »

Thanks for the quick reply. Just to clarify, you mean that the filters I set up for shows airing this weekend using a new feed will not be downloaded, but when they are aired again next week SABnzbd+ will pick them up?

If this is the case how come when i set up a test filter using just 'PDTV' as the keyword then nothing has been downloaded in an hour, with RSS scan set to 15min intervals, surely the first scan would do as you describe and the ones that followed would pick up every new file with PDTV in the naming structure?

...or am i being an idiot? ;)

Regards.
Last edited by barrierfreeman on March 1st, 2009, 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

barrierfreeman wrote: Thanks for the quick reply. Just to clarify, you mean that the filters I set up for shows airing this weekend using a new feed will not be downloaded, but when they are aired again next week SABnzbd+ will pick them up?
Yes
barrierfreeman wrote: If this is the case how come when i set up a test filter using just 'PDTV' as the keyword then nothing has been downloaded in an hour, with RSS scan set to 15min intervals, surely the first scan would do as you describe and the ones that followed would pick up every new file with PDTV in the naming structure?
Are you sure that any new material appears on the feed within that hour?
I think you should use *PDTV* instead of PDTV.
barrierfreeman
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by barrierfreeman »

shypike wrote:
Are you sure that any new material appears on the feed within that hour?
I think you should use *PDTV* instead of PDTV.
Well as it turns out nothing downloaded in 2.5 hours now, and the feed has repopulated with newer files with PDTV in the title. Have now changed the filter to *PDTV* to see if that makes a difference and will report back. The weird thing is though, even with the filter just set as PDTV it is still showing all the matches, just not downloading them.
barrierfreeman
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by barrierfreeman »

Well after another hour nothing has yet occurred from setting this up:

and getting new matches every 15 mins:

[redacted]

...and yet nothing is auto downloading. It has to be something simple I am missing, so any extra help is appreciated.
Last edited by inpheaux on March 1st, 2009, 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

It's downloading like mad on my system with the same settings...
Did you find any suspect lines in  the log files?
Else zip and email those to [email protected].
barrierfreeman
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by barrierfreeman »

shypike wrote: It's downloading like mad on my system with the same settings...
Did you find any suspect lines in  the log files?
Else zip and email those to [email protected].
Well, after changing nothing and leaving everything alone for an evening i can now confirm i have downloads! Not sure what got it going, but it is working now so that is the main thing. Now i can finally move from RSS/Torrents to RSS/NZBs and reclaim my upstream ;D

Thanks alot for your help shypike, appreciate the effort :)
Last edited by barrierfreeman on March 2nd, 2009, 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sinnocence

Post by Sinnocence »

Hi guys,

I'm experiencing the exact same problem but unfortunately, unlike the OP, simply leaving it running doesn't seem to do the trick.

Am I missing something obvious? Steps to enable it so far:
1) Set RSS check interval to 15 mins
2) Add compatible feed
3) Preview Feed
4) Click Download and allow initial batch to process.
*) The initial batch downloads successfully.

Now, I'd expect every 15 minutes for new jobs to be automatically downloaded. Have I left something out? If I terminate sabnzbd and relaunch (or after a reboot), do I need to manually click 'download' again, or should it now be working automatically?

Thanks for any and all help.

[edit]
Version: SABnzbd 0.4.8
Install-type: Windows Installer
Skin (if applicable): Default  (for purposes of test)
Firewall Software: Disabled (for purposes of test)
Are you using IPV6? No
Is the issue reproducible? Yes

Worth mentioning again that the initial batch processes correctly and there is nothing in the log to indicate any connection errors (or indeed any attempt to automatically process RSS)

[/edit]
Last edited by Sinnocence on April 6th, 2009, 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Did you enable the checkbox in the upper left corner of the RSS definition box?
It will only be scheduled if this checkbox is checked.
Sinnocence

Post by Sinnocence »

Hi Shypike - Thanks for your help!

I did enable the feed for scheduling via that checkbox but it had no effect. I take it from your reply that it is indeed the scheduler that kicks off the RSS download then? If so, what schedule action is responsible? The only appropriate action in my available list is 'resume' (which did not work).

Incidentally I don't typically use the scheduler - I enabled it to test RSS download but usually I just have SABNZBD permanently running/unpaused. Could that be the issue?
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

RSS scheduling is independent of what you do on the Config->Scheduler page.
The RSS scan interval is set on page Config->General (not the most obvious place).
RSS checking rate | Interval in minutes between checking the RSS feeds (at least 15 min.)
Sinnocence

Post by Sinnocence »

Yeah, per my original post it is set to 15 minute check interval. Reading around it suggests that this means that the RSS should be processed at a random interval within the 15 minute window, at worst. Regardless, having left it running continuously for several times this duration I haven't witness the correct behaviour.

Something is amiss, I wish I knew what. Debug level logs are proving unhelpful. I have no doubt that it is my error and not the fault of the app (given the limited options for failure/misconfiguration in sabnzbd I wonder if it isn't somehow system configuration). If I figure it out I'll be sure to bump the thread with an exclamation of my idiocy :D

Thanks again for your help Shypike.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

Is the logging level "Debug" and can you find the text "Running feedparser on" ?

Otherwise:
1. Stop SABnzbd
2. Remove the log files
3. Start SABnzbd
4. Make sure the feeds are "ticked"
5. Let it run for 30-45 min
6. Zip the logfile(s) and send them to [email protected]
Sinnocence

Post by Sinnocence »

Predictably it turns out it was PEBKAC, resolved by the list of steps you posted. The wiki/threads I have read implied that the tickbox was for the Scheduler alone - so once I had finished the Scheduler test I unticked the box again. Of course reading the wiki now it is perfectly clear what the text means but maybe we can change it to remove the possibility of misinterpretation? What was interesting was why the RSS wasn't processed the first time I had the tickbox checked, Scheduler active, and let the server run overnight (but now having cleared the logs I guess we won't find out).

For anyone reading this thread in the future - tick the checkbox for the RSS feed you want processed. You do NOT need to define any type of schedule. The polling interval of the parser is configured elsewhere (lowest value is 15 minutes - though not necessarily 15 minutes from when you tick the box/set the time so wait 2 full periods, in this case 30 mins, to be sure if it has run or not). If you have debug level logging enabled you should see something like the following in the log:

Code: Select all

2009-04-10 05:35:50,746::DEBUG::Scheduling RSS task [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7] 0:10
2009-04-10 05:35:50,746::DEBUG::Scheduling RSS task [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7] 0:25
2009-04-10 05:35:50,746::DEBUG::Scheduling RSS task [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7] 0:40
2009-04-10 05:35:50,746::DEBUG::Scheduling RSS task [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7] 0:55
2009-04-10 05:35:50,762::DEBUG::Scheduling RSS task [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7] 23:40
2009-04-10 05:35:50,762::DEBUG::Scheduling RSS task [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7] 23:55
i.e. run 7 days a week at 00:10, 00:25, 00:40, 00:55, 01:10 etc.

The only additional step I took should be unnecessary; when, after already configuring my RSS setup, I attempted to clear the logs they were locked, so I restarted SABNZBD.

So thanks Shypike for the solution, and your patience.