I have a new PC, and my download speed is down

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
vincent81

I have a new PC, and my download speed is down

Post by vincent81 »

Hi Guys,

So I just bought a new PC (HP 110-306ND) and for some reason my downloadspeed went down. I still use the same server (extremeusenet.nl) and I have the same package (120MBit/sec), also I still have the same internet connection. On my old PC my download speed was around 12 MB/Sec. Now on my new PC the max speed is between 7 and 8 MB/Sec.

Some of the settings/info that might help you helping me :)

I've added internal memory so I now have 8 GB internal memory
I use Windows 8 64 bit (previous PC was windows 7)
Ethernet speed 100 MBps (is it possible this has to do with the lower download speeds?)
Download settings: Speed at 0 = max speed
Article cache limit: I tried 200 and 300 M
Number of connections: 11

Any idea why my download speed is down on my new PC?
Thanks in advance for your help!
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: I have a new PC, and my download speed is down

Post by shypike »

Een cache van 1G is beter, aangezien tegenwoordig de file-segmenten steeds groter worden.
vincent81

Post by vincent81 »

shypike wrote:Een cache van 1G is beter, aangezien tegenwoordig de file-segmenten steeds groter worden.
Thanks, heb het aangepast naar 1G maar jammer genoeg komt mijn downloadsnelheid nog steeds niet boven de 8 MB/s
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

How odd, SABnzbd should be able to get a decent speed on any modern pc.
I have no explanation.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Check task manager (click on show more) and see what's the problem, memory, disk, CPU? The column will show up red!
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
vincent81

Post by vincent81 »

safihre wrote:Check task manager (click on show more) and see what's the problem, memory, disk, CPU? The column will show up red!
Just checked and not sure if this is it but the last column I have is network, when I check Sabnzbd it most of the times is fine. The netwerk is using about 70% of it's capacity and it says it's using about 70 Mbps (which matches the downloadspeed Sab is giving me itself). For a fraction of a second it sometimes rises to 130 Mbps but then the usage capacity goes up to 100% after which it drops back to 70% again.

So what does this mean? This PC is not able to download any quicker than about 70 Mbps? Does this have to do with the Ethernet Speed of 100 Mbps?
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

The rest is all fine?
For example the CPU of SABnzbd, how much is that? Since it seems your CPU is a quad-core, if SAB uses 25% it means it is using 1 core fully, so the CPU would be the limit.

Otherwise I wouldn't know ;-)
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
vincent81

Post by vincent81 »

The CPU stays between 13 and 17% so that seems alright. Plus my old pc was about 8 years old so I doubt that one was any better than this one. Just a shame I don't remember the type, that way I could have compared specs. But I guess I'll have to live with a downloadspeed of about 70 Mbps, which isn't that horrible :)
ALbino

Post by ALbino »

Try increasing and decreasing your connections. Also try turning SSL on and off. You could also try switching ports in the very slim chance that's the problem.

Also, you could give a free trial with another Usenet provider a shot and see if it's your current provider's route to you instead of SABnzbd.
vincent81

Post by vincent81 »

ALbino wrote:Try increasing and decreasing your connections. Also try turning SSL on and off. You could also try switching ports in the very slim chance that's the problem.

Also, you could give a free trial with another Usenet provider a shot and see if it's your current provider's route to you instead of SABnzbd.
Thx for the tips, will try them later on