SSH tunneling to web interface

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
MiG

SSH tunneling to web interface

Post by MiG »

For some reason I keep getting 'connection refused' when trying to tunnel to the SAB webinterface, even though I'm forwarding to regular http and I can access it directly over the network just fine, using that same port.

PuTTY with local port forwarded to 192.168.0.50:8085 -> Raspbian server -> SABnzbd (or a second SABnzbd OpenSUSE server on a different forwarded port)

Subsequently using http://127.0.0.50:8085 in my client's browser results in an ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED. Can reach both SAB servers without SSH, using their internal IPs from that same machine though.
I can also telnet to those ports from either server to themselves and to eachother using their 192.168 addresses, so I'm a bit confused as to why a port forward wouldn't work as for as far as I know SAB should only see the Raspbian initiating the connection.

Does anyone have this setup working?
MiG

Re: SSH tunneling to web interface

Post by MiG »

I'm surprised... No one uses an SSH tunnel with SAB?
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

I have OpenVPN running on an Ubuntu box, pretty much out of the box, and it works.
No experience with PuTTY for the same purpose.
MiG

Post by MiG »

It's quite confusing, RDP for example can easily be forwarded, and http traffic isn't exactly rocket science.
I was hoping for a simple transit from a full windows remote desktop over SSH to access all local resources, to accessing just SAB remotely (so I can significantly cut down on power usage, got a bit of a bill this year). But perhaps I'll have to have a look at OpenVPN on Raspbian. Or resort to runlevel 5 on that little electronic credit card and tunnel VNC, come to think of it :)
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

Why not just forward port 8080 to your Raspi-with-SAB so that you access SAB's webinterface?
MiG

Post by MiG »

That's one of the things in the first post that strangely won't work...
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

MiG wrote:That's one of the things in the first post that strangely won't work...
You do realize you do NOT need SSH to access the web interface, and you need port forwarding?
MiG

Post by MiG »

sander wrote:
MiG wrote:That's one of the things in the first post that strangely won't work...
You do realize you do NOT need SSH to access the web interface, and you need port forwarding?
I'll reiterate: I use SSH to provide a secure tunnel to my home network when I'm at work or travelling, and I've set up port forwards to access specific services over said tunnel (as I do not want to open anything other than the SSH daemon up towards the internet). This works fine for RDP for example, but not for SABnzbd / http(s) for some reason. I have a few alternatives now, but it just baffles me why this supposedly simple setup won't work so I'd like to figure out where it goes wrong.