Help please ... slow to zero download rates.

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
VAW

Help please ... slow to zero download rates.

Post by VAW »

My setup:

HP Pavilion desktop
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
AMD A10-5700 Quad
12.0 GB Dual channel DDR3 @ 665 MHz
Firefox 41.0.2
SABnzbd, CouchPotato, Sonarr
--------
I've been using this setup for going on a year. I've had few issues, not much worthy of too much concern, until recently.

My internet connection measures from 40-60 Mbps DL speed. Never seen current plan go below 40 Mbps. On the other hand, I rarely see my SABnzbd go above 6-7 MB/s ... I'm happy at those speeds. The problem is it's uncommon to see it that fast. 2-4 MB/s is typical. But, even that didn't bother me too much.

The reason for the post is that lately, I often see DL speeds of less than 1 MB/s, and long periods when it simply STOPS altogether with a loaded queue and connected responses from my servers.

I've currently got two servers enabled. The test button in SABnzbd reports connection to both. I've lost count of how many times, in trying to resolve this, I've rebooted the computer, restarted SABnzbd, repaired my queue, etc. I've considered reinstalling SABnzbd but haven't yet because I'm worried I'll have to do all the reconfigurations all over again. If I reinstall without uninstalling, will my setting be retained?

Just hoping someone can lead me to a cure. Just now, as I look at the SABnzbd tab, I see it's zipping right along at 115 KB/s. That may be another clue/symptom ... the speed changes dramatically and within short periods of time. Within minutes it can range from 2 MB/s to 1 KB/s or less (down to full stop for no apparent reason).

Thanks
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Help please ... slow to zero download rates.

Post by sander »

My internet connection measures from 40-60 Mbps DL speed. Never seen current plan go below 40 Mbps. On the other hand, I rarely see my SABnzbd go above 6-7 MB/s
FWIW: 6-7 MB/s = 60-70 Mbps

More information:
which ISP? If comcast: do they still do newsserver throttling?
Wifi or ethernet cable all the way?
Slow download: does it result in a successful download, or not
VAW

Post by VAW »

So, when I'm doing 6-7 MB/s, that's all I can hope for ... which is fine with me, I wish I saw that rate more frequently though.

ISP = Comcast. I don't know if they're throttling.

Ethernet to the DL box, hard wired.

Successful? Usually, eventually.

But, why does it come to a complete stand still? I mean, full stop, nothing going on here? It'll stay that way until I step up and kick it ... and even that doesn't work sometimes.

It may be a coincidence: But, it seems the problem is worse with NewsHosting than it is with Giganews.
ALbino

Post by ALbino »

When this happens to me (which is quite often) I go to Status > Connections and manually Force Disconnect, which usually solves it.

I've read elsewhere if you find the offending server that's hanging (again, in Connections), you can then go to your server configuration and reduce the Timeout from the default of 120 to like 60 and that will help alleviate the problem in the future.
VAW

Post by VAW »

ALbino wrote:When this happens to me (which is quite often) I go to Status > Connections and manually Force Disconnect, which usually solves it.

I've read elsewhere if you find the offending server that's hanging (again, in Connections), you can then go to your server configuration and reduce the Timeout from the default of 120 to like 60 and that will help alleviate the problem in the future.
Well, it's some consolation that I'm not alone with this problem. Is it common? I haven't really experienced it until recently.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll reduce my timeout and see if that helps.

I'm not keeping both usenet servers. I'd planned to drop giganews for a better offer. But, I kept them for another month to make sure the problem wasn't only with the new server. It's not.
===================
Later ... the problem is ongoing. It's a new development from what I've seen over the past. Can anyone suggest what might have caused the change? It's getting to be very annoying.