External HDD "Complete" Destination Sleeping/Unmounting

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
Ancell

External HDD "Complete" Destination Sleeping/Unmounting

Post by Ancell »

For awhile now I had gotten accustomed to having a terminal window open and ssh-ing into my server to quickly reboot so that SABNZBD could "find" the external drives it downloads to again. I can pretty much presume to need to do this every time I want to use SABNZBD, knowing that probably enough time had passed since the last use for the external drives to have gone to sleep already.

I have a Mac Mini dedicated to just being a Plex/SABNZBD box with all COMPLETE media going to external drives. (Temp Folder is, of course, local).

Anyways, I finally decided to ask the question I have procrastinated addressing for years. Every year at some point, I remember and start searching the net for ideas/solutions, trying some things and then giving up and just resume my reboot-server-every-time-I-use-SAB.

Any suggestions as to how I can eliminate my reboot step? Right now, it's the most efficient. The server isn't easily accessible; it's in another room. SSH-ing in is way better than Screen Sharing onto the Desktop and using the GUI to reboot. The other option I've tried is just restarting or closing/reopening SABNZBD both via Screen Share and through the browser GUI on whatever client I am on. But that has been hit-or-miss...75% of the time miss. Plus it's a bit annoying having to go into each of the external drive volumes and browse for a few seconds just to "wake" it up, clicking and moving the mouse around just enough to make sure each remounts before going through the SAB restart motions. Much easier and faster to just assume that SABNZBD will still not see the remounted drives after app restart and just reboot the whole system.

But I'd love it if there was a better idea! AFAIK, OS X nor my external drives (G-DRIVE brand) have any "hard drives don't sleep" features. OS X does for it's internal drives, but that setting doesn't affect externals.