unpack & extract at complete download folder

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
shpapy

unpack & extract at complete download folder

Post by shpapy »

hi all,
my temp folder and complete are as follows
C:\Users\XX\AppData\Local\sabnzbd\MyDownloads\Incomplete
C:\Users\XX\AppData\Local\sabnzbd\MyDownloads\Complete

this drive is an SSD drive which i would like to use for the download / verify / extract.

then i use the categories and move the files to d:\blah\movies
screenshot of the categories
http://postimg.org/image/qy3x36sud/

i noticed in windows system resources that the download and verify happens on the C drive, but then SAB moves the files to the d:\ drive and extracts in there.
SAB creates the _UNPACK_ folder in d:\blah\blah\movies

this drive is 7200RPM and slower then the SSD

How can i make sure download / verify / extract happens on the SSD drive (C) and only then the file is moved to the final target destination?

thanks
jcfp
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: unpack & extract at complete download folder

Post by jcfp »

shpapy wrote:download and verify happens on the C drive, but then SAB moves the files to the d:\ drive and extracts in there.
There is no separate step of moving the files. Instead, sab instructs the unrar util to read the files from the incomplete dir and write its output directly to the complete dir. The target dir initially has UNPACK_ prepended to its name just so that 3rd party apps know to ignore it during unpacking, and afterwards simply gets renamed in place.

With the settings in your screenshot, the directory at C:\Users\XX\AppData\Local\sabnzbd\MyDownloads\Complete is never used even if it's set a the standard complete dir, because all categories (including default) are set to use absolute paths elsewhere.
shpapy wrote:How can i make sure download / verify / extract happens on the SSD drive (C) and only then the file is moved to the final target destination?
If you insist, this is possible by modifying your category settings to ensure the complete dir is on the ssd as well, and then using a postprocessing script to do the final move. This will be slower than the normal method though.
shpapy

Post by shpapy »

The complete dir is on the SSD,
couple of questions

1. what will be the impact speed of the post-processing script?
2. where can i get it?
3. if this is not the best way ; what will be the best way to do the entire process based on the fact that i would like to benefit the speed of the SSD?

thanks a lot
jcfp
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by jcfp »

0. not unless you modify the category config.
1. assuming you meant speed impact: nothing as a result of such a script itself, it's the unneccessary extra write and read actions of your approach that take time. Read from ssd + write to ssd + read from ssd + write to 7200rpm vs. read from ssd + write to 7200rpm.
2. write it yourself
3. the way sab handles it in your existing setup.