SABnzbd on a VPN not accessible by nzb.cat, etc

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
ghost3353

SABnzbd on a VPN not accessible by nzb.cat, etc

Post by ghost3353 »

I'm starting to feel like I'm overlooking something obvious. I looked at the FAQ's, searched the forums, etc hoping to find an answer without having to post, but I didn't find anything to a problem I assumed everyone was having - indexers accessing SABnzbd on a VPN.

I'm on a Windows 10 workstation dedicated to Usenet processing with no OS firewall. IPv6 is disabled. I have a router doing NAT and port forwarding as needed (used 8086 for SABnzbd port on listener and forwarded from router). Everything works fine as long as my VPN is not active. I'm using PIA for VPN since it is fast, secure (killswitch) and works well with Newshosting. Unfortunately, SABnzbd is purposely on the VPN for download privacy, so nzb.cat cannot find the SABnzbd queue when the VPN is active (port 8086 no longer open for the original hostname/IP). How have others overcome this issue? I have a second NIC on this PC if I could find an alternate config to separate the VPN traffic SABnzbd needs from my network traffic where my router would handle port forwarding. I am unsure if there are routing options that would still insure the privacy of SABnzbd on the VPN while allowing nzb.cat to access the SABnzbd queue. Ideas?

Thanks in advance...
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: SABnzbd on a VPN not accessible by nzb.cat, etc

Post by safihre »

I wouldn't know.. You'd somehow need the VPN to forward the right port back to you.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
ghost3353

Re: SABnzbd on a VPN not accessible by nzb.cat, etc

Post by ghost3353 »

Got it. Was a combo of SABnzbd needing to listen on the internal address while NZB.cat looked at the external address, then making sure to use the port the VPN provider arbitrarily assigns instead of the port I was expecting to use. Going to be a challenge to script this to pass variable IP's for two different applications when the VPN restarts and give me new internal and external IP's. Port seems to be the only constant.