System Slowdown

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
appac

System Slowdown

Post by appac »

Hi everyone -

I'm wondering if anyone has come across similar behavior before:

I have the latest version of the software installed, and when I begin a download, my computer appears to freeze/slow down, from the speed of the download (~10meg/s). Task manager shows that the system process (ntoskrnl.exe) is junk up about 40% of the CPU constantly. I have to dropped that down to about 3MB/s to get the PC to "respond".

It doesn't appear to happen when I download files from the internet/browser.

If I reboot the machine, the issue is does not occur for a few hours/nzb downloads.

I've tried another NIC on my PC and also changed out the port on the router. I've run an MB memory diag and no issues were found.

I'm running windows 10 pro with 64gb of memory and i7.

Thanks!
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: System Slowdown

Post by sander »

64gb of memory and i7.
... Wow, what a beast of a machine!

Did you Google "ntoskrnl.exe high cpu"? https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/sy ... indows-10/ is one of the hits. And of course there is the possible cause "virus scanner" .. so you could disable your virus scanner temporarily.
appac

Re: System Slowdown

Post by appac »

thanks, Sander -

yeah i did the usual bit of going through the AV, and firewall software too, but same thing. If it was hardware, I'd be able to reproduce it after reboot too, or shortly there after. But, unfortuently it seems to occur after a couple hours or use, or maybe even a day or two. I think i'm going to re-install SABnzbd and also run updates on the OS.