sabnzbd ignores standard browser on macOS

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
herrde

sabnzbd ignores standard browser on macOS

Post by herrde »

Hi there,

as of today, sabnzbd always opens in Firefox instead of Safari on my iMac (latest macOS version) - even though Safari is set as the default browser in macOS settings! I tried changing the macOS standard browser back and forth, but it always opens in Firefox. I also tried toggling the "launch standard browser on start up" option in sabnzbd between "on" and "off", but to no avail!

This behavior is new - until recently, sabnzbd used to open in Safari just perfectly!

All other web links (e.g. links in e-mails etc.) open just fine in Safari as usual (as Safari is, like I said, set as the standard browser in macOS).

The only workaround was actually to remove Firefox from my system. Then, sabnzbd opened in Safari just like before. But as soon as I re-installed Firefox, sabnzbd is again opening in Firefox!

Can somebody help please?
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: sabnzbd ignores standard browser on macOS

Post by safihre »

Nothing was specifically changed with regards to the browser selection so I imagine it's something on the specific system.
Unfortunately I'm not a Mac user so can't really help :/
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
Mackapoen

Post by Mackapoen »

Hello,

I'm experiencing the same problem since a few days now. Fortunately everything seems to work as it should but it's kinda weird and I would like to use Safari as I always did.

There was an osx update at about the same time this issue started. Maybe it has something to do with it? ???
herrde

Post by herrde »

Mackapoen wrote:There was an osx update at about the same time this issue started. Maybe it has something to do with it? ???
That's exactly what I thought, but then again, all other web links (from e-mails etc.) open in Safari perfectly fine as always (if Safari is set as your standard browser), so I've been wondering if there maybe was an update to sabnzbd for macOS too about the same time which I somehow didn't notice....

Anyway, it's at least good to hear that I'm not the only one having this problem... in the meantime, I have removed Firefox from my system as I don't really need it anyway. Sabnzbd now opens in Safari again just like before, but this is of course quite a radical workaround....

/EDIT:
Some guys on the Sublime support forum and on the Sublime GitHub board obviously have a similar problem with macOS ignoring the standard browser after the latest macOS update, so obviously Apple changed something here that now has to be implemented in future versions of sabnzbd and other applications. Unfortunately, I can't post any links here as I'm obviously not an "established user", but try a Google search using "macos standard browser firefox" and limit the search to last week.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

I read the post.
Seems we have to wait to get some more info from Apple. This happened before where they broke the tray-icon and then an update a few weeks later, Apple fixed it again.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
herrde

Post by herrde »

...I see. Thanks for acknowledging anyway!!

Best
Redux

Post by Redux »

Same behavior here. Since I didn't have Firefox installed, my Mac went to the Parallels Windows emulator where it failed trying to run "prl_cc.exe" which is apparently associated with Parallels; a mess until I figured out what was going on.

No huge problem now that I've installed Firefox on the Mac. But Firefox has to be actually running on the Mac; just being installed is not enough: it still goes to Parallels.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Checked if I could do anything about it, but we just use a built-in python feature. So it's either a core python problem, or osx problem.