v 2.1.0 Bandwidth Hogging

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
barryetheridge

v 2.1.0 Bandwidth Hogging

Post by barryetheridge »

In recent days I have been unable to connect to any other websites while Sabnzbd is downloading, irrespective of any bandwidth settings in the program (or so it would appear). I have been using Sabnzbd for many years and have never experienced any problem of this kind before. If anyone has had a similar problem or knows what might be causing it I'd be extremely grateful for some advice. Although it's liveable with at present as it is not in much use it will become extremely vexing if the problem persists into periods of heavier use.

W10 (1703) Desktop, Sky Hub Broadband Router (wired connection)
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: v 2.1.0 Bandwidth Hogging

Post by safihre »

So nothing has really changed with regards to how connections are setup and used, so it might be more a problem on your PC.
For example my anti-virus (Avast) will place itself as a man-in-the-middle of every connection and will check everything that goes through it (even with SSL enabled), it just started doing this a few months ago without notice. This is just an example of course.
I think the culprit here is most likely something like an OS or driver update.
Have you tried lowering the number of connections in SABnzbd? With my newsservers each connection gives me about 1MB/s, so to load a 10MB/s line I only need 10 connections.
And setting a speed-limit of course, around 80% of your maximum speed for example.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
barryetheridge

Re: v 2.1.0 Bandwidth Hogging

Post by barryetheridge »

Reducing the connections seems to have done the trick so thanks for the suggestion. One of those settings that I've never given a second thought to since the initial configuration way back in the mists of time.