SAB taking way too much memory over time

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
garyleecn

SAB taking way too much memory over time

Post by garyleecn »

hello guys,
I'm using SABnzbd on my Synology (DSM 6.2), and I notice that when I have large queue and bandwidth (~2tb/day), SAB will take up wayyyyyyy too much memory over time.
I have 10G system memory and when SAB starts the usage is around ~30-40%, and if I keep the queue small it will stay there. however if I keep it downloading high speed for like 18 hours, it will take memory usage to 90%. eventually it will make SAB in-responsible and then the entire Synology server will freeze...
there is only ~5 tasks waiting for repair and such. if I manually restart SAB, the memory will immediately drop to 30% again.
also, I've set cache to 2G max.

anyone knows why SAB is doing this? and maybe a fix?

safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: SAB taking way too much memory over time

Post by safihre »

We have had many reports of bad memory usage on Synology and we think it's specific to the Python on the device.
So far the only 'solution' has been to use the scheduler to restart SABnzbd every 6 to 12 hours.

Do you use the SynoCommunity version?

I think in your case it would be better to set the cache to a more reasonable 600M, because SABnzbd will use all that memory while you are probably barely gaining any speed from it.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Also: you are sure it's really SABnzbd, and not par2 for example? Can you see that?
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
garyleecn

Post by garyleecn »

safihre wrote: July 28th, 2017, 10:27 am We have had many reports of bad memory usage on Synology and we think it's specific to the Python on the device.
So far the only 'solution' has been to use the scheduler to restart SABnzbd every 6 to 12 hours.

Do you use the SynoCommunity version?

I think in your case it would be better to set the cache to a more reasonable 600M, because SABnzbd will use all that memory while you are probably barely gaining any speed from it.
Yes I'm using the syno community version, and I can see that it's SAB process itself taking up the memory, not par2.

Also, would you maybe give out the script to restart SAB? I'm terrible on Linux scripts,,,
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

It's not a script. You just go into sabnzbd Config and the to the Scheduler page. There you can select a time and all the days and then you select as action to Restart sabnzbd.