URL Fetching failed; Server uses an untrusted HTTPS certificate...

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
Aspom

URL Fetching failed; Server uses an untrusted HTTPS certificate...

Post by Aspom »

Hi, first post so hopefully I get everything in without looking like too much of a noob...

So everything's been working great for the last couple months until a couple nights ago. For my last half dozen downloads, they've all failed with "URL Fetching failed; Server uses an untrusted HTTPS certificate" as the status message. I'm not sure which of the servers it's referring to. (heh, removed the link in the error message because new users aren't allowed to post links! There was a link in there to the sabnzbd page for certificate errors...)

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to post where the nzbs come from, but I have samples from 2 separate sites and they're both showing the same certificate error. I doubt they both got unsigned certificates at the same time. I don't have SSL checked on the usenet server I'm using so I don't think it's that one.

Can anyone tell me which server it's talking about that doesn't have a trusted certificate. I'll provide the sites if that's acceptable.

Setup details:

Version 2.2.1 [bcc4dd7] running on a QNAP TVS-673 (running 4.3.3 0262)
NZBs are pulled by sickrage and that part seems to be working correctly

Thanks in advance for any help!
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: URL Fetching failed; Server uses an untrusted HTTPS certificate...

Post by safihre »

The part that's failing is getting the NZB from the Indexer, not the downloading of the actual files.
Read more here and how to test where the problem is: https://sabnzbd.org/wiki/advanced/certificate-errors
(scroll down to the "NZB / RSS Index site problems" section)
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

they've all failed with "URL Fetching failed; Server uses an untrusted HTTPS certificate" as the status message. I'm not sure which of the servers it's referring to.
So that's in the History part? You can click on the red error message, and then you will a popup telling the full URL. Can you post the host part from that URL here? So something like
www.somenzbserver.com
www.someindexblabla.com

No need for the exact NZBs.

running on a QNAP TVS-673
Ah, a NAS. NAS devices used to be notorious for not having a correct SSL/TLS setup, but let's first see which URLs you use.
Aspom

Post by Aspom »

sander wrote: August 27th, 2017, 4:28 am So that's in the History part? You can click on the red error message, and then you will a popup telling the full URL. Can you post the host part from that URL here? So something like
wwwDOTsomenzbserverDOTcom
wwwDOTsomeindexblablaDOTcom

No need for the exact NZBs.
Here are the two. Odd that they would both get certificate errors at the same time... (more on that below)

wwwDOTusenet-crawlerDOTcom
apiDOTomgwtfnzbsDOTme
sander wrote: August 27th, 2017, 4:28 am Ah, a NAS. NAS devices used to be notorious for not having a correct SSL/TLS setup, but let's first see which URLs you use.
You know, when I got the box I intended to install everything in a VM since I know Windows much more than Linux, but this one guy wrote an awesome script that loaded all the prerequisites and installed SABnzbd and Sickrage and linked them in all the places that were required. It's been running great for the last couple months until now. About a month ago the guy abruptly quit all QNAP development and got rid of all his boxes so I can't really expect any future support on it.

I suspect there might be something deeper wrong here. When trying to copy and paste the requested hostnames I noticed I couldn't select the text in Glitter so I swapped it for Plush. It hung when it restarted. I putty'd in and a ps -ef | grep sabnzbd showed both a sabnzbdDOTsh stop and sabnzbdDOTsh start but they appeared to be hung...

I think my long term solution should probably be re-installing on my VM. I've had it running for about 5 years with no problems there and if somethings going wrong I have more experience in troubleshooting it.

P.S. Holy crap is that newbies aren't allowed to post links thing annoying! It even detected the shell script extension as a 'link'. It would be nice if it told you what it thought was a link but it doesn't. I spent 10 minutes hitting preview trying to figure out what the hell it thought was a link!
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Off-topic: without the link-blocking we get around ~15 spam posters a day, every day.. No matter how many captcha's, recaptchas, no-forum-spam, etc.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
Aspom

Post by Aspom »

safihre wrote: August 27th, 2017, 4:55 pm Off-topic: without the link-blocking we get around ~15 spam posters a day, every day.. No matter how many captcha's, recaptchas, no-forum-spam, etc.
Oh, I totally get it and I know you guys don't write the forum software. Just had a hard time figuring out what it didn't want me to do!

Thanks for all you do!
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

So it seems the certificates for these are good:
https://www.sslshopper.com/ssl-checker. ... wtfnzbs.me

So that means the problem is local. The easy solution is to disable HTTPS verification on the General page of the Config. This only disables the verification for indexers and RSS, not usenet connections.

To fix this the system certificates need to be updated. But not completely sure what would be best on Qnap.
How did you install the package? There are 2 ways, including this newer script that 'fixes' the original clinton-hall package. https://sabnzbd.org/wiki/installation/install-nas
Aspom

Post by Aspom »

Yeah, I sort of assumed it was a local problem since no one else was complaining! :)

I tried disabling the HTTPS verification and it actually pulled a URL but after downloading there was a processing error: ImportError: No module named xmlrpclib. I decided to download all the ones I missed and then just manually assemble and place them but during the second download I got a Lost connection to SABnzbd screen and it's not come back. I suspect it won't until I reboot the NAS again.

I'm using the second script on that page to install (Sherpa), but as I pointed out earlier, the author is no longer maintaining it and no one else has taken it over. :( That script installs all the prerequisites and I suspect it's one of those that's causing it (hence the module it can't find). When I try to re-install using the same script (which is supposed to work) I get the error: Entware appears to be installed but is not visible before it errors out. I realize that this is out of scope for what this board entails though! I do appreciate the suggestions though.

I think I'm leaning even more to running it in a VM now. I'm thinking one of the other apps updated something and is causing the problem. I never ran into this problem just running it from a PC.
OneCD

Post by OneCD »

Hi @Aspom. ;)
Aspom wrote: August 27th, 2017, 4:14 pm About a month ago the guy abruptly quit all QNAP development and got rid of all his boxes so I can't really expect any future support on it.
Not quite. I still have my QNAP boxes but am transitioning away from the QTS firmware into Debian. But I've been on holidays and haven't started that yet. So, for a short while, I may still be able to help.
Aspom wrote: August 27th, 2017, 8:07 pm That script installs all the prerequisites and I suspect it's one of those that's causing it (hence the module it can't find). When I try to re-install using the same script (which is supposed to work) I get the error: Entware appears to be installed but is not visible before it errors out.
For assistance with Sherpa, please raise an issue on GitHub and I can help you there. Briefly, it looks like your Entware install may have been corrupted by another QPKG.
Stuff I like: Apache bash cron DD-WRT Debian DNSMasq Entware FireFox GitHub ImageMagick Kate KDE LibreELEC Netrunner NFS NVIDIA OpenVPN Orvibo-S20 pfSense Python Raspberry-Pi RAID SABnzbd Transmission Usenet VirtualBox Watcher3 XFCE