Slow Performance (UI)

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
DivineKaos

Slow Performance (UI)

Post by DivineKaos »

Hey All,

Love SAB, been using it for a couple years now.

I seem to be having issues with getting into the backend of it, it takes 1-2 mins to load the settings- and is generally very slow when navigating, if I go to status and interface options, it comes up, but everything (other than used cache) says Loading... and never loads.

Server 2016
2x Opteron 6174
96GB RAM
SSD Based

Any ideas?
DivineKaos

Re: Slow Performance (UI)

Post by DivineKaos »

Sorry, meant to mention my download speeds seem generally unaffected. SSD storage location, gigabit fiber seeing 60-70MB/s.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

What version of Sabnzbd are you using? 2.2.1 has a small issue that causes it to be slower than previous version, you can try 2.3.0, maybe it's bit better.
Sabnzbd is almost entirely single threaded due to the limitations of python, so if you are downloading at full speed, there is no CPU time left to do the interface stuff.
Usually limiting the speed to something a bit under the maximum, let's say 50MB/s in your case, can help.
Unfortunately Windows Server also doesn't play nice with sabnzbd, sometimes limiting its resource usage, no idea why.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

... on top of what @safihre says: I also heard that a queue with 1000+ entries in it will slow down the GUI. So ... how big is your queue?
DivineKaos

Post by DivineKaos »

Running 2.3 RC. Problem persisted on 2.1, and 2.2.

However UI speed is fine now when it is not downloading. I believe it must have been related to my download speed. Last night when I posted it was sitting around 65MB/s with a queue of ~15 items.

I understand the speed issues being related to Python, is there a future plan to move away from Python or anything like that to alleviate?

Just curious.

Thanks!
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Plans.. many plans yes.. time? No :P
SABnzbd has a massive amount of features under the hood to handle all the crazy usenet shit and all the weird systems people install it, strange languages/CPU/disk/etc combis that need to be supported. Even moving from Python 2 to Python 3 is already a massive undertaking due to all the special cases SAB can handle nowadays.
Porting that all to C++/C#/Go would be a full-time job for months, let alone all the debugging involved..

But we could always use some dev help :D Or maybe we can start a Kickstarter/GoFundMe for this :P
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate