Slow Downloads over VPN since update

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
NewsDog

Slow Downloads over VPN since update

Post by NewsDog »

Recently I've had a lot of failed downloads so I updated to 2.3.0 [ba7d906]. I was at 0.7 something prior, so yeah I was way behind.

Now I'm only getting about 200KB/s max on downloads. Previously I was getting at least 4.5 MB/s.

New: Downloaded in 33 mins 28 seconds at an average of 185 KB/s
Old: Downloaded in 4 minutes 31 seconds at an average of 4.6 MB/s

Tried a number of downloads, and all about the same. Checked various speed tests, and all show up to 75 Mbps down.

I tried a couple of downloads with Forte Agent to see if it's the provider (SuperNews), but these were very fast.

608 MB Duration 1 minute
165 MB Duration 16 seconds

Turns out that if I turn off my VPN (PIA) it downloads goes up to 8MB/s. But why? Everything else over PIA works fine, I get great speed test results.

System tests
System performance (Pystone) 131797  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600…
Download folder speed 407.8 MB/s 
Complete folder speed 407 MB/s 

No idea what to look at. Anything I need to do to optimize for VPN? Don't want to turn off VPN.

Usenet: Supernews
VPN: PIA
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Slow Downloads over VPN since update

Post by safihre »

There is a downloader-optimization that saves a lot of CPU power but collides with some VPNs that have weird ways of delivering packages.
Therefore when you start SABnzbd and start downloading, for 10 seconds we will disable this optimization and measure the download speed. Then we enable the optimization and see if the speed goes down, if it goes down, we turn the optimization off.
This can fail for example if the first download after the start has lots of missing articles or is for some other reason not very constant.

Easiest solution that usually works is to just restart SABnzbd and try another download, after this probably you will get better results since the detection will notice that it cannot enable the optimization.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate