Slow Complete Folder Speed

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
jbrady

Slow Complete Folder Speed

Post by jbrady »

Version: 2.3.0 [ba7d906]
Install-type: Windows Installer(running as service)
Skin (if applicable): Glitter - Default
Firewall Software: None
Are you using IPV6? no
Is the issue reproducible? yes

I have been trying to diagnose an issue with my Sab PC (Windows 10) to Storage server (Windows 8.1) over the past few days and have run into a wall. My system consists of Sabnzbd running on my local computer as a service, which processes and transfers the finished product over to my network storage server. As seen in the following image, the Sabnzbd Complete Folder Speed to the storage server is rather slow.

I then attempted to verify where the bottleneck occurred by testing the following:
  1. Network Transfer via 3rd party application from Sab to Storage computers
  2. Network Transfer via Windows from Sab to Storage computers
  3. Storage Server Data Drive Test
After these tests, it seems to indicate that there wasn't an issue with the network or storage server disk, but rather something between Sabnzbd writing and the Storage server. Does anyone have any guidance on how to solve this issue?

Thank you
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Slow Complete Folder Speed

Post by safihre »

Do you actually notice this during the unpacking? Is unrar really slow?
The test performed there is simply sabnzbd trying to write data to the folder and see how much it can push through, not extremely reliable in some cases. That's why it's only of concern if you notice your unpacking speed is slow.
Does it help if the path to the server is specified as IP instead of hostname?
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

Hey James, nice tests. The SAB diskspeed test can be off with 20 or 50% or so, but not with a factor 10 as in your tests. So ... more analysis is needed.

You can run the SABnzbd diskspeed test standalone if 1) you download and unpack the source code of SABnzbd and 2) have python installed.

Example usage on Windows:

My local SSD:

Code: Select all

C:\temp\sabnzbd-2.3.1RC1\sabnzbd\utils>\python27\python.exe diskspeed.py c:\temp\
Let's go
Disk writing speed: 368.93 Mbytes per second
Done
A network drive:

C:\temp\sabnzbd-2.3.1RC1\sabnzbd\utils>\python27\python.exe diskspeed.py x:\
Let's go
Disk writing speed: 1.97 Mbytes per second
Done
You can change the test file size in diskspeed.py

filesize = 10  # MB
FWIW: I cannot run 'winsat' on my Windows computer to compare, as winsat seems to need admin rights, which I haven't got.
jbrady

Post by jbrady »

@safihre
I believe that you are correct with your assumption as I am getting upwards of 31 MB/s when Sabnzbd performs the copy. One note is that I noticed improvement in the overall process when I disabled Direct Unpack in the settings.

@sander
I ran the python script and received the following results:
Default = 5.56 Mbytes per second
100MB = 4.31 Mbytes per second

As you stated, these results aren't within the specified speed tolerances of what Sabnzbd actually processes files, which was verified by monitoring task managers' network transfer speeds while a file is being processed.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Then let's list this as a limit of our test, we are aware of it's limitations but I think this is the most extreme difference we've seen so far.
As long as the regular unpack works fine, all is good, right? :)
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

@safihre: Do you have a Windows sytem with a network drive? If so, can you test with diskspeed.py and with winsat, and post the results?

Let's see if you can reproduce the difference, and if so, if it's in diskspeed.py/python or winsat.