How can I ignore samples - before downloading?

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
OneCD

How can I ignore samples - before downloading?

Post by OneCD »

I'm not sure if this is currently possible. I'd like to NOT download sample files.

I've been manually examining the items in my download queue and deleting the sample files myself from within the queued NZB, but it would be great to have something to do this automatically. So, I'm looking at writing a queue pre-processor to remove these.

Before I started though, I began searching and found an old post from @shypike that has stopped me:
shypike wrote:I don't recommend the setting "Do not download samples" because many
posters foolishly include the sample in the same par2 collections as the main files.
Can anyone advise if this is still the case? Probably wouldn't be a big deal - I could just leave all the par files alone.

BTW: why does the GUI sometimes stop me from deleting certain files in the queued NZB? These always seem to be pars - is it because this download may be missing articles and so these par files will be needed?

Thank you. :)
Stuff I like: Apache bash cron DD-WRT Debian DNSMasq Entware FireFox GitHub ImageMagick Kate KDE LibreELEC Netrunner NFS NVIDIA OpenVPN Orvibo-S20 pfSense Python Raspberry-Pi RAID SABnzbd Transmission Usenet VirtualBox Watcher3 XFCE
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How can I ignore samples - before downloading?

Post by safihre »

Indeed it's what shypike says, all too often the samples are included in the main par2 file. Not so much from the experienced posters, but more from the niche posters. Then this would result in possible slow verification and repair, it's nowadays most often faster to to just get the samples and delete afterwards.

Yes, the par2 files are "postponed" so they won't be downloaded anyway unless we detect missing articles or if verification tells us.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
OneCD

Post by OneCD »

safihre wrote: November 10th, 2017, 2:53 am Indeed it's what shypike says, all too often the samples are included in the main par2 file. Not so much from the experienced posters, but more from the niche posters. Then this would result in possible slow verification and repair, it's nowadays most often faster to to just get the samples and delete afterwards.
Ah, with my slow connection speed (8Mb), it's quicker to delete them. If I manually remove samples from the first page of 30 items, I can turn an ETA of 24 hours into 23.
safihre wrote: November 10th, 2017, 2:53 amYes, the par2 files are "postponed" so they won't be downloaded anyway unless we detect missing articles or if verification tells us.
There shouldn't be a problem with deletion though, if the sample file has its own par set? I'd like to delete only these via the GUI, but sometimes, I'm blocked from doing so.
Stuff I like: Apache bash cron DD-WRT Debian DNSMasq Entware FireFox GitHub ImageMagick Kate KDE LibreELEC Netrunner NFS NVIDIA OpenVPN Orvibo-S20 pfSense Python Raspberry-Pi RAID SABnzbd Transmission Usenet VirtualBox Watcher3 XFCE
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

In the end these sample sets will not be downloaded, only the first small par2 file which is later ignored during post processing. So the end result should be the same, isn't it?
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
LV-426

Post by LV-426 »

I've just moved to the latest and was sorry to see the option not to download samples has gone, cant say I ever run into the problem where some numpty had included the sample in the main par set.

Nearly as annoying as the secondary web interface disappearing :P
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

There's a few threads on here or on Github, forgot which one, where users complain about failing downloads due to removing of samples :)
OneCD

Post by OneCD »

safihre wrote: November 10th, 2017, 5:24 am In the end these sample sets will not be downloaded, only the first small par2 file which is later ignored during post processing. So the end result should be the same, isn't it?
Yes, you're right. :-[

Thank you @safihre.