Winsxs error after upgrade

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
Forceman

Winsxs error after upgrade

Post by Forceman »

I recently installed SABnzbd as a service, after using it regularly for many years, and it has been working fine. Today, however, I realized I had a really old version (0.7.3) so decided to upgrade it to the newest. I stopped the service, installed the new version without a problem, but when I went to run Sabnzbd (or start the service) I got an error similar to "The application has failed to start because the side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or run sxstrace.exe for more details."

I was able to back out the install and everything is running fine again on 0.7.3, but I'd really like to upgrade. There is no entry in Programs and Features (because I used the standalone package initially) so I can't uninstall 0.7.3 that way. Anyone have any ideas?
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Winsxs error after upgrade

Post by safihre »

You first should uninstall the service using the service worker: https://sabnzbd.org/wiki/advanced/sabnz ... ws-service
Both sabnzbd and the helper.
Then do the upgrade and reinstall it.
That should probably work :)
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
Forceman

Post by Forceman »

I tried, still didn't work. I tried installing to a new location also, that didn't work either. Tried both the standalone and the installer version. I'm really drawing a blank - seems like maybe a version conflict with whatever Windows has in winsxs, but I don't know how to remove that entry and let it rebuild with the new version.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

I would do this:

Make sure SABnzbd is not running
Open a CMD prompt, cd into the SABnzbd directory containing "sabnzbd-console.exe" en start that by typing sabnzbd-console.exe<ENTER>.

... what happens?

PS:

Which Windows is SAB running on?
Forceman

Post by Forceman »

If I do that now, it bring up the console. When I tried it before I rolled back to 0.7.3 it gave me the same winsxs error. This is running on Server 2008 R2. I'm assuming it has something to do with the service, since the upgrade went fine on the computer I don't have it running as a service. Just can't figure out how to tell Windows to either delete or update whatever it is looking for in Winsxs.

I ran the trace and it spit back this, but I don't know if it is useful information.

Code: Select all

=================
Begin Activation Context Generation.
Input Parameter:
	Flags = 0
	ProcessorArchitecture = AMD64
	CultureFallBacks = en-US;en
	ManifestPath = C:\Downloads\SABnzbd\SABnzbd.exe
	AssemblyDirectory = C:\Downloads\SABnzbd\
	Application Config File = 
-----------------
INFO: Parsing Manifest File C:\Downloads\SABnzbd\SABnzbd.exe.
	INFO: Manifest Definition Identity is (null).
	INFO: Reference: Microsoft.VC90.CRT,processorArchitecture="amd64",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8"
INFO: Resolving reference Microsoft.VC90.CRT,processorArchitecture="amd64",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8".
	INFO: Resolving reference for ProcessorArchitecture amd64.
		INFO: Resolving reference for culture Neutral.
			INFO: Applying Binding Policy.
				INFO: No publisher policy found.
				INFO: No binding policy redirect found.
			INFO: Begin assembly probing.
				INFO: Did not find the assembly in WinSxS.
				INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_64\Microsoft.VC90.CRT\9.0.21022.8__1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b\Microsoft.VC90.CRT.DLL.
				INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Downloads\SABnzbd\Microsoft.VC90.CRT.DLL.
				INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Downloads\SABnzbd\Microsoft.VC90.CRT.MANIFEST.
				INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Downloads\SABnzbd\Microsoft.VC90.CRT\Microsoft.VC90.CRT.DLL.
				INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Downloads\SABnzbd\Microsoft.VC90.CRT\Microsoft.VC90.CRT.MANIFEST.
				INFO: Did not find manifest for culture Neutral.
			INFO: End assembly probing.
	ERROR: Cannot resolve reference Microsoft.VC90.CRT,processorArchitecture="amd64",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8".
ERROR: Activation Context generation failed.
End Activation Context Generation.

sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

I don't understand what you're saying. So: Can you run the sabnzb-console.exe from the current SABnzbd in a CMD-window?

BTW A quick Google search seems to suggest to install Microsoft Visual C / Studio libraries.
Forceman

Post by Forceman »

If I run it now it works, because I rolled back to the previous version.

I guess I can try the Visual C thing. I saw that as well when I was troubleshooting, but since my issue is clearly tied to the upgrade I don't know how it would apply.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

My advice:
sander wrote: November 13th, 2017, 6:37 pm Can you run the sabnzb-console.exe from the current SABnzbd in a CMD-window?
Your answer:
Forceman wrote: November 13th, 2017, 7:14 pm If I run it now it works, because I rolled back to the previous version.
... I can't match my advice with your answer. Sorry.

Oh wait: I had edited "current SABnzbd" to "current SABnzbd (2.3.x)", but that edit is gone.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Just get the Standalone again and try the sabnzbd-console.exe from there so we can test :) otherwise we can't fix it!
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
Forceman

Post by Forceman »

Sorry, misunderstood what you were asking. If I run the sabnzbd-console from version 2.3.1, I get the same error as before - The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. See the application event log or run the command line tool sxstrace.exe for more details.

The trace gives the same manifest error as before (the code in a previous post). I get that same error even if I stop the service, or remove it using the command line.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

Forceman wrote: November 14th, 2017, 5:55 pm If I run the sabnzbd-console from version 2.3.1, I get the same error as before - The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. See the application event log or run the command line tool sxstrace.exe for more details.

So it's NOT related to running SAB as a service. Good.

When I google your Windows message, first hit is https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 304?auth=1

So:
Kindly download and install Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable Package from below given link and check if it helps:
Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013
http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download ... x?id=40784

@safihre Did you switch Visual Studio version between 0.7 and 2.3?
Forceman

Post by Forceman »

I tried the Visual C update earlier, with no success. The reason I think it has to do with the service is because I was able to successfully upgrade on my other computer, where it isn't a service. I only recently (1 week) moved it to my server and tried to run it as a service (which works). It is just when I tried to upgrade on the server, where it is a service, that I ran into this problem. Main reason I think it is the service causing the problem is because otherwise I don't know why a standalone program would be involved in the winsxs folder.

Edit: For clarity - I am able to remove the 0.7.3 service, but even after doing so, when I try to run any portion of 2.3.1 (sabnzbd-console, sabnzbd.exe, or install the service), I get the winsxs error, even after a reboot. I can't run 2.3.1 (or 2.0.0, which I also tried) in any form at all - I'm stuck with 0.7.3 until I get this figured out. The trace I ran while running the 0.7.3 version didn't generate any entries related to sabnzbd, so I couldn't compare.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Finally I understand the probable cause of this:
You have never used the installer, which would have installed this dependency for you.
You can manually get the right one here: http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... 40-ENU.exe
Forceman

Post by Forceman »

Installing that failed with the error "A compatible version of Visual Studio 2008 was not detected on the system. This update is designed for only the Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 (ENU) product family, and is not compatible with any Express editions."

I did run the installer with 2.3.1, which installed fine, but running it still failed.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Can you maybe install Python 2.7.14 from the python.org website? Maybe it will install the right dependency.

It's very strange, I've helped plenty of users over the years that were on Server 2008, so it must be some combination of settings or installed software.