100% CPU usage on linux [false alarm]

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
atroposfate

100% CPU usage on linux [false alarm]

Post by atroposfate »

Hi,

I've only stated to see this issue in the last month and it took me awhile to determine what the problem was. I have been using sabnzdb for over 3 years on this computer without issue but now - - Every 10-15min the CPU for sabnzdbplus goes to 100% and it stops the streaming from the machine and everything else for 10 or 15 seconds. There is nothing in the cue or being unpacked in sab it is just contantly happens.

I am using debian Jessie and was using version 0.7.18 and just upgraded to 2.3.1 but there has been no change.

I've changed the cache to 300M and restarted sab and still no luck.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated as the constant pause on my TV is annoying.
Last edited by atroposfate on November 29th, 2017, 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 100% CPU usage on linux

Post by safihre »

Do you have a Watched folder set up?
If so, what is this folder? Does it contain a lot of files?
Sabnzbd will try and inspect all archives also when scanning watched folder, which might cause this cpu spike. Try choosing a folder that's really unique for just NZBs.

Another thing I could imagine is Rss feeds, do you use those?
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
atroposfate

Post by atroposfate »

Thanks for the reply. I do not have rss feeds setup and my watchdog folder was blank but if blank meant it was trying to scan my home directory I could see a problem as there is almost 4TB. I changed the setting to an unused folder and increased the scan time. I'll do some test and report back.

I did forget to mention it is a amd a4 Richland 3.7Ghz with 8gig Ram and sab and OS is on a ssd drive and the 4TB is raid 10.

Although not great stats anymore to use 100% cpu for more than 5 seconds makes me think it is trying to scan or find something on the big drive.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

If that doesn't work, enable +Debug in the Status Window, after it happens again download the log via Show Logging and then inspect what it is doing at this timepoint.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
atroposfate

Re: 100% CPU usage on linux [false alarm]

Post by atroposfate »

Thanks for your help, I haven't been able to replicate the 100% I saw yesterday and the lag is caused every 10 minutes almost on the button but nothing out of the ordinary was in the log and I shut sabnzdb down and it was still happening.
So I'll have to go back to the drawing board. Nothing is showing up in top or ps as taking too much processing or memory so I'm almost at a loss. I'll just keep shutting programs down until I figure it out.

Sorry to both you and thanks again for the suggestions.