Sabnzbd pauses/errors nzbs with strange characters in name

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
KuroNeko

Sabnzbd pauses/errors nzbs with strange characters in name

Post by KuroNeko »

Since updating from 0.72 to 2.3.2 (new install, new Windows 7 64 install) I'm getting errors on nzbs with strange characters.

A small example: [SNSbu] Fate kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei (BD 1920x1080 h264 FLAC) [1/6] - "[SNSbu] Fate kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei (BD 1920x1080 h264 FLAC)"

I tried nzbindex and binsearch indexers to get the nzb, both fail the same way.

Sabnzbd just pauses, and the warning says ERROR Disk error on creating file H:\NZBIndex-download-185\[SNSbu] Fate kaleid liner PrismaIllya 2wei! etcetera.

Note it only does this when I select the entire posted series, and get them in one nzb. If I select each episode separately for individual nzbs, it will seem to download, not pause the queue but simply report a fail that not enough pars are available and checking the temp folder shows it has only downloaded the par file. I tried replace illegal setting on and off, no difference.

The log file has lots of entries like this
[assembler:108] Traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "sabnzbd\assembler.pyo", line 98, in run
File "sabnzbd\assembler.pyo", line 167, in assemble
IOError: [Errno 22] invalid mode ('ab') or filename: u'\\\\?\\

I find it strange I don't have this on the old 0.7.2 version, so I'm assuming I have made a settings error. Can anyone tell me how to fix this? Thanks.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Sabnzbd pauses/errors nzbs with strange characters in name

Post by safihre »

Could you enable +Debug in the Status and Interface settings window (the wrench icon in the Glitter interface) and then add the NZB again.
After that click on that same window Show Logging and send me the log and the NZB at [email protected]
It should work indeed.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

Disk error on creating file H:\NZBIndex-download-185\[SNSbu] Fate kaleid liner PrismaIllya 2wei!
So ... H: ... what kind of drive is that?
KuroNeko

Post by KuroNeko »

Not at my PC right now, so Safihre I'll do that as soon as I'm home. Sander, the H:\ is an SSD cache drive - OCZ Vortex 3 128GB. I use this to handle the downloads, and once finished they go to a normal HD for final storage. The drive is formatted NTFS and other NZBs don't give me any trouble.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

the H:\ is an SSD cache drive - OCZ Vortex 3 128GB
And built into your Windows PC connected via SATA? Not a USB drive, not a network drive?
The drive is formatted NTFS
OK, so not FAT.

"Interesting ..."
KuroNeko

Post by KuroNeko »

Safihre, I restarted Sabnzbd with option -c to clear the logs. Set to record debug data too, added the nzb. Same problem, I saved the log and am sending you the nzb file. I selected two small files totalling just 200MB so testing goes quickly. I'm curious what causes this. Hopefully, you can learn something from the log file. Thanks in advance for helping!

Edit: Sander: yes, SATA drive connection.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

(I got the .NZB via @safihre).

SAB as a service on Linux, saving to ext4 file system: no problem as the download completes. Just a strange character in the filename

SAB on Windows, with NTFS disk: "Disk error on creating file C:\blabla\Downloads\incomplete\funny-chars\[SNSbu] Fate kaleid liner PrismaIllya 2wei! Specials - 1 (BD 1920x1080 h264 FLAC).mkv"

Code: Select all

2018-02-16 16:01:29,549::DEBUG::[nzbstuff:1431] Download Quality: bad-articles=0
2018-02-16 16:01:29,551::INFO::[assembler:96] Decoding \\?\C:\Users\<USERNAME>\Downloads\incomplete\funny-chars\[SNSbu] Fate kaleid liner PrismaIllya 2wei! Specials - 1 (BD 1920x1080 h264 FLAC).mkv yenc
2018-02-16 16:01:29,551::ERROR::[assembler:106] Disk error on creating file C:\Users\<USERNAME>\Downloads\incomplete\funny-chars\[SNSbu] Fate kaleid liner PrismaIllya 2wei! Specials - 1 (BD 1920x1080 h264 FLAC).mkv
2018-02-16 16:01:29,551::INFO::[assembler:108] Traceback: 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "sabnzbd\assembler.pyo", line 98, in run
  File "sabnzbd\assembler.pyo", line 167, in assemble
IOError: [Errno 22] invalid mode ('ab') or filename: u'\\\\?\\C:\\Users\\<USERNAME>\\Downloads\\incomplete\\funny-chars\\[SNSbu] Fate kaleid liner Prisma\x06Illya 2wei! Specials - 1 (BD 1920x1080 h264 FLAC).mkv'
2018-02-16 16:01:29,551::INFO::[downloader:277] Pausing

On Linux, saving to NTFS disk: SAB's stdout locks up , and SAB's download comes to a halt (GUI still working) ... :-(

After pausing and unpausing, the download finishes, and I have two .mkv files, with strange characters (0x06 = ACK) in the filename.

So it looks like NTFS is the culprit?

EDIT 1:

In the .NZB:

$ cat funny-char-nzb.nzb | grep -i poster | grep -vi par2

<file poster="Anime Tosho &lt;[email protected]&gt;" date="1518665506" subject="[SNSbu] Fate kaleid liner Prisma&#226;&#732;&#8224;Illya 2wei (BD 1920x1080 h264 FLAC) [1/4] - &quot;[SNSbu] Fate kaleid liner Prisma&#226;&#732;&#8224;Illya 2wei! Specials - 1 (BD 1920x1080 h264 FLAC).mkv&quot; yEnc 83003729 (1/116)">

<file poster="Anime Tosho &lt;[email protected]&gt;" date="1518665520" subject="[SNSbu] Fate kaleid liner Prisma&#226;&#732;&#8224;Illya 2wei (BD 1920x1080 h264 FLAC) [1/5] - &quot;[SNSbu] Fate kaleid liner Prisma&#226;&#732;&#8224;Illya 2wei! Specials - 3 (BD 1920x1080 h264 FLAC).mkv&quot; yEnc 102422231 (1/143)">

So ... .mkv files, no rar files. ???
More important: weird HTML codes:

Prisma&#226;&#732;&#8224;Illya

manual explanation:

&#226; Small a, circumflex accent
˜ &#732; &#x2dc; &tilde;
&#8224; † dagger

So "Fate kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei " ... I don't know if those strange chacters are allowed in filename, and if so what the encoding should be (now HTML Code)

Poster has more of those strange files: https://www.binsearch.info/?q=Fate+kale ... 00&server=

TBC
KuroNeko

Post by KuroNeko »

I tried formatting the SSD to exfat. This still results in the same error. So NTFS is not the culprit.

Nice to hear Linux works better. I'm contemplating moving to Linux, as I don't really like windows 10. The poster Anime Tosho is a bot, posting stuff from various torrent sites to usenet. There's another bot, Ishouni, and often they overlap. Unfortunately, not for this post, so I can't compare.
jcfp
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by jcfp »

Any difference if "make windows compatible" is enabled for naming in config -> switches?
KuroNeko

Post by KuroNeko »

I see only the options "enable folder rename" (enabled), replace spaces in folder name and replace dots in folder name, both disabled. Using v2.3.2 on Win 7 64bit. Am I missing something?
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

KuroNeko wrote: February 16th, 2018, 4:28 pm I see only the options "enable folder rename" (enabled), replace spaces in folder name and replace dots in folder name, both disabled. Using v2.3.2 on Win 7 64bit. Am I missing something?
via sabnzbd/config/switches/#sanitize_safe you should see
"Make Windows compatible For servers: make sure names are compatible with Windows."

I believe you have to check Advanced Settings in the upper right corner.

I tried formatting the SSD to exfat. This still results in the same error. So NTFS is not the culprit.
FAT is even less capable than NTFS. So where I said "NTFS", I shoud have said NTFS/FAT/Windows-FS
KuroNeko

Post by KuroNeko »

Sorry to be such a bother, but it isn't there. I also checked the Special options menu, and Advanced Settings have been activated all this time.

Is this perhaps something only present in the Linux version, since you seem to be using a Linux version?

I go from the web interface to Config, Switches. I'm afraid I don't see a difference if I add #sanitize_safe to the url either. I can make screenshots and make a doc with what I see if that helps.

Also, exFat, not Fat. It is quite capable, as it can handle much larger sizes and such, but it may indeed have the same way to handle odd characters as NTFS. Still, if this doesn't work, then no other options remain. Windows doesn't support ext4, btrfs, zfs, xfs and all the other nice goodies you find on Linux.

Edit: I just checked the help section, and there it is listed. But it is not present in my screen. I sent a screenshot to Safihre.
shypike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shypike »

This option is only shown when SABnzbd doesn't run on Windows.
It's not very useful on Windows, because it's not possible to create files that do not follow the Windows rules.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

I finally had time to look into this, but I am stuck.
The problem is not the NZB, but that we detect the filename using Par2.
It has no problems when writing the par2 files, only the main file fails because we get the "right one" from the par2.
For some reason Windows just chokes on this filename:

u'[SNSbu] Fate kaleid liner Prisma\x06Illya 2wei! Specials - 1 (BD 1920x1080 h264 FLAC).mkv'
Sander, do you maybe have some idea?
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
KuroNeko

Post by KuroNeko »

It chokes because of the \ after the word Prisma. That's an unallowed character for Windows file names.