Sabnzbd keeps crashing and Mac mounted drive not available immediately upon startup

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
dvpetta

Sabnzbd keeps crashing and Mac mounted drive not available immediately upon startup

Post by dvpetta »

Hello,

I've had a consistent issue with version 2.3.2 crashing when attempting to download files. Looking at the log and it's hard to interpret what the issue is. I tried to downgrade to 2.3.1 as I don't remember having the issue until recently but that didn't seem to help.

Here is a portion of my log running 2.3.1 (the entire thing was too big) on pastebin: https://pastebin.com/iFRG1JC1

One issue I know I've had is that the drive that I save files to doesn't connect immediately upon boot up of the computer so when sab goes to look for the drive, it's not there returning errors. Not sure why the hard drive doesn't mount immediately (running mac 10.13.3) but usually sab starts up first then the drive after.

Usually what I have to do is to manually go in and connect the drive and the refresh / start sab and downloads usually go fine. I don't think that this is the cause of the crashing issue as I have had to deal with this issue for a year or so now but thought I would mention it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Dza
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Sabnzbd keeps crashing and Mac mounted drive not available immediately upon startup

Post by safihre »

It seems related to your drive for sure:

Code: Select all

OSError: [Errno 60] Operation timed out: '/Volumes/Seagate/videos/incomplete/The.Daily.Show.2018.02.21.Ludacris.EXTENDED.WEB.x264-TBS/__ADMIN__'
And that's a few minutes after 2.3.1 has started.
Seems like a bad idea to have your incomplete folder on external drive, since it needs lots of writes. Could you try putting it on the local drive?

Regarding the not-available at startup, you can set a waiting time in Config > Specials > "wait_ext_drive", this is the maximum number of seconds SABnzbd waits for external drive to become available.
You can also check "wait_for_dfolder", but beware of the text on the wiki about this option:
"his will make SABnzbd wait until the drive is available. Note that SABnzbd will hang until the drive is available! Also, the folder must already exist otherwise SABnzbd will hang until terminated."
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
dvpetta

Re: Sabnzbd keeps crashing and Mac mounted drive not available immediately upon startup

Post by dvpetta »

Thanks for the advice. I've made both of the changes, will have to try to figure out how to get my mac to connect to the mounted drive after start up.

After making those changes I've noticed another issue that I've failed to mention.

After I have connected to my external hard drive and "resume" sab, downloads begin and all seems to be OK but at some point I get the error message from sab on my browser about "lost connection" at which point sab freezes, downloads stop, my router then disconnects from the external hard drive and all other internet to the computer seems to come to an end effectively putting everything on hold. I can actually get the internet back onto my computer by switching to the different wifi frequency (go from 2.5 to 5.0 or vice versa) .

This happened before and after the changes you suggested so I'm thinking that this has something to do with router and maybe my port forwarding not set up correctly? I did reset my router and probably lost all of the port forwarding configs that I had set up so maybe that is causing what looks to be a crash.

Any ideas?
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

dvpetta wrote: February 27th, 2018, 10:05 am I can actually get the internet back onto my computer by switching to the different wifi frequency (go from 2.5 to 5.0 or vice versa) .
Wait ... you use wifi when downloading with SABnzbd? It is adviced to use wired network when you do heavy network downloading like with SABnzbd.
dvpetta

Post by dvpetta »

I have always used wireless for sabnzbd, didn't know that it's the preferred method. I'll have to see if it's feasible though, as the computer is a ways away from the router. The hard drive however is a direct connect to the router via USB 3.0.

Is there a limitation that I can apply within Sab that will help with the spikes and crashing I'm seeing?

Although I've made the change to having the incomplete folder on my local computer, moved to 5.0 wireless, I'm still having issues.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

Is there a limitation that I can apply within Sab that will help with the spikes and crashing I'm seeing?
Lower the SABnzbd download speed to 1 Mbps?
Continously write to the external drive to keep it awake and reachable?
... Ugly tricks, IMHO
Although I've made the change to having the incomplete folder on my local computer, moved to 5.0 wireless, I'm still having issues.
Advice: (temporarily) connect your Mac via wired network to your switch/router, set all folders locally, start downloading, and experience stability and speed.

Reason:
In theory, SABnzbd doesn't care where the folders are and what kind of network you use ... as long it's rock solid (and fast if you want fast downloading).
However, in practice, external drives and wireless networks have shown not to be rock solid, and to show glitches, and to be slow. Therefor, built-in drives and wired networks are advised for heavy-traffic-app SABnzbd.
dvpetta

Post by dvpetta »

Thanks.

I'm going to get a cat7 chord and see if I can get better improvement. I think I remember having better connection over a wire connection, will have to see what results it brings.
renegade

Post by renegade »

dvpetta wrote: February 27th, 2018, 10:05 am Thanks for the advice. I've made both of the changes, will have to try to figure out how to get my mac to connect to the mounted drive after start up.
Any ideas?
Simply go to system preferences > users & groups > login items

click the '+', from there add the drive you want to be mounted.