Sign-in attempt blocked by Gmail

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
thusband

Sign-in attempt blocked by Gmail

Post by thusband »

I recently set up email notifications using Gmail per the SAB tutorial. On the first download the email came through but now I get a Google warning about a sign-in attempt with a less secure app that was blocked. I've gone into the Google settings and allowed less secure apps to access my account but I wonder if I'm more vulnerable now to outside attacks. I'm very careful about the apps I use. Why would SABnzbd be considered less secure? I know it's SAB as there are SAB warnings.

Many thanks.
jcfp
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Sign-in attempt blocked by Gmail

Post by jcfp »

This isn't some specific warning about sab. Connections between the program and google's mail servers are encrypted and otherwise unproblematic.

It's just that google defines pretty much anything but their own webmail and their own apps as 'less secure', because authentication via other methods doesn't provide them and their data mining with easy ways (such as two factor auth, statistics, etc.) to distinguish between the actual you or someone random who stole your password.
thusband

Post by thusband »

Got it. Thanks, I won't worry about it.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

If I mail fill out alt1.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com:25 and my gmail address as recipient and a non-gmail address as sender, it works. No username/password needed. No alerts. I must say it is a bit slow ... it takes 5 or 10 seconds to send the mail.

Having said that: If possible, use your ISP's SMTP server. Easier, faster, no allgeric reactions from google/gmail.
thusband

Post by thusband »

Thanks, I'll look into that too. I'm with AT&T U-verse DSL (not great) and am not sure what the SMTP server is. Google search has some stuff:

Domain
att.net

SMTP server / port
POP3 outbound.att.net / 465
IMAP smtp.mail.att.net / 465 or 587

Not sure if I use POP3 or IMAP.

Thanks again.
thusband

Post by thusband »

I have played around with all POP3 and IMAP SMTP settings above and nothing goes through. I added my att.net domain address and password and still nothing. I tried the alt1.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com:25 and that failed too. Not sure why it's so difficult. Maybe I'll go with Gmail at the lower security setting.