Too many connections regardless of settings

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
nixpix

Too many connections regardless of settings

Post by nixpix »

Hi! Long time user here. Its been working great for several years. I am on the latest stable version. For the last few days I have been getting warning for too many connections, regardless of how many connections i set in the options. I am on newhosting, and they allow 30 connections. I have had it set for 30 for many years, no issues what so ever, but now no matter what number I set I get the warning. And even weirder is that the more new nzbs I add (if I add them one by one after each completed), the less connections I am allowed. So what happens is this:

1. I try with 20 connections
2. Add nzb, and it warns too many connections, drop them to 19 and downloads.
3. I add another nzb, again I get the warning, and it drops the connections to 18 and downloads.
4. I add a third nzb, and again a warning too many connections, and drop to 17, and downloads
5. You see where this is going.....

The only way I found around it is to quit sabnzbd for a while and restart it. And it gets back to trying 20 connections. And then the whole procedure repeats. I tried changing "Disconnect on Empty Queue" both ON and OFF, makes no difference. What's going on and what can I do about it?
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Too many connections regardless of settings

Post by safihre »

Why not just set it to 10?
Many connections don't need much more than that :)

But it's a bit odd indeed.
Could you enable Debug logging in the Status window and then after it happens again check the log (click Show Logging). It will say which connection number threw the error and then we can inspect what happen to that connection before (by the connection number).
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
nixpix

Post by nixpix »

Dropping down to 10 connections helped, so I tried 15 connections. And that was fine as well. I also did a log like you asked. Its with 20 connections set. Even if dropping down to 15 connections helped, I am still confused as to why this issue suddenly occured. And I would, if possible like to resolve it.

I tried to post the log, but I cant post links apperantly. And the log contains more than allowed character :| How can I get u the log?

Edit. Can I please have the permission to post links? The log contains the server url, which is a "link", so I cant post the log, or parts of it. Or even link to it at pastebin etc...
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

After 3 posts you can post links, but you can also send me the log and tell me around which time the failures were.
Then I can post the relevant parts here instead of the giant log.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
nixpix

Post by nixpix »

Here's the log from using 20 connections, out of the 30 allowed.

https://pastebin.com/zwG824fL
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Super strange, SAB is just doing it's thing. No timeouts, nothing. It seems Newshosting just doesn't allow you to use all 20.
nixpix

Post by nixpix »

Yeah its super weird :( And this crap started over night, I haven't changed anything. Been using 30 connection for years with not so much as a single issue. I know I dont need 30, but still, I am allowed to. I also contaced newshosting about it, they gave me the standard "copy paste" response about max numer of connections. And when I replied with further details they said there are no problems with their servers, and that I should contact the support of my usenet reader/client.

Is there anything else I can do?

Here's a new log, if it helps. Its what happens when I start at 30, getting error and auto throttles down to 26. Then I stop the download and re-add the same nzb, then it says 26 is too many, throttles down to 23. I stop again,. and re-add the nzb, error saying 23 is too many and drops to 18. And lastly I change number of connections to 15, and add the same nzb. Error gone.

Edit. I tried Newshostings own client, and that one connects to all 30 with no issues.
Edit 2. I tried Altbinz client. It also gives error too many connections, 26 was acceped the first try. Only about 20 the second try.

https://pastebin.com/0NCpM806
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Newshosting has been messy. I have even seen some cases where users can't complete a download repeatedly using Sab while they can complete it using their own client.
They refuse to give any feedback, citing that it's about illegal content and as such they provide no services.
nixpix

Post by nixpix »

I see. I am having a discussion per email with them, trying to figure this out. If it can't be resolved soon I give up. There's not much more I can do. I have tried numerous clients, and they all give the same error. The only client not showing errors is their own. Its weird cuz its been working great for several years, and this just started happening from one day to another, with no apperant change in my config/hardware or software.

If I were to try another USP, what would you recommend? I've been on Astra before and not going back, I had way too many issues with not capping my bandwidth from them (no idea why tho).
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Personally I use Frugal, it's fast but only 1000 days of retention. So I have a block for the rest.