SABnzbd extremely fast on Synology

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
desperado591

SABnzbd extremely fast on Synology

Post by desperado591 »

Thankfully last week there was the long awaited update for SABnzbd in the Synology Package Center, fixing the problem of not starting under DSM 6.1

So I updated it and set up all the relevant parts. Indeed it is now running as it should, so I was able to abandon my SAB version running under Docker for the last half year or so.

But there is one thing that makes me wonder and I am a little bit afraid of it: SAB is now downloading so incredible fast, that I am not sure wether it is still using the VPN of the Synology ::) Under Docker with the VPN turned on it was downloading with a maximum speed of around 16 - 17 MB/s in the morning hours, when no neighbours were downloading and dropping the speed. But now it is downloading with roundabout 20-21 MB/s even in the evening hours! :o

I made the check with the button "Status und Interface Optionen" -> "Öffentliche IP Adresse" and there is realy a different IP depending on the VPN turnt on or off.

Can I truly rely on that IP shown there?

Of course I was considering that the Docker SAB was taking some CPU power, but the task manager was not showing a big difference between the "normal" SAB and the Docker version. Also, in the past (before the DSM 6.1 issue) SAB was downloading roundabout at the same speed as did the Docker version.

Maybe the new SABnzbd is doing some magic tricks?

It would be very helpfull if someone could reassure me concerning the IP thing :)
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: SABnzbd extremely fast on Synology

Post by sander »

Maybe the new SABnzbd is doing some magic tricks?
Yes, indeed: SABnzbd 2.0.0 (April 2017) introduced SAByenc, which sped up downloading (read: decoding) very much. And Safihre keeps on doing his magic to make SAB faster.
It would be very helpfull if someone could reassure me concerning the IP thing
SABnzbd can show it's public IPv4 address: in the SABnzbd GUI, click on the wrench symbol ("Status and interface options"), and then you see it ...
desperado591

Post by desperado591 »

Well, thank you for your answer.

As I wrote before I had already checked the IP via the SAB GUI, I just wanted to make sure that it is correct and not lying.

I know that SAB did take a big step in speed when switching up to v2 onwards, as I am using it since it was available - but the new version in the Synology Package Center seems to speed up things even more .
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

desperado591 wrote: May 7th, 2018, 3:28 pm Well, thank you for your answer.

As I wrote before I had already checked the IP via the SAB GUI
Ah, yes ' "Status und Interface Optionen" -> "Öffentliche IP Adresse" ' ... I should have understood that.
I just wanted to make sure that it is correct and not lying.
SAB is correct and is not lying. That feature you use is programmed by a very knowledgeable person. ;)
desperado591

Post by desperado591 »

Yeah I know, safihre is very smart :)

So when the shown IP is correct, there are 3 possibilities:

- my VPN provider upgraded it´s servers
- my ISP has upgraded it´s line capacity in my street
- the new SABnzbd is indeed running faster than the Docker version

Anyhow, the result is awsome! ;D
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Actually it was Sander who made that check.

Could be that SABnzbd is faster, because the Yenc module is compiled differently between packages..
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
desperado591

Post by desperado591 »

Was there a change in that Yenc module between SAB 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3?

Regardless of that, I am very happy with that performance - assuming that it is correctly downloading via VPN ;)