Speed drops from 3.5 MB/s to <100 KB/s at random

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
Tripwyr

Speed drops from 3.5 MB/s to <100 KB/s at random

Post by Tripwyr »

Hi, trying to sort out a rather frustrating issue. I currently connect to newshosting over port 443 with a 20 second timeout. My cap for speed seems to be around 3.6-3.8 MB/s which is fine, but it will periodically drop to under 100 KB/s and stay there until I disconnect from VPN, restart SABnzbd, then reconnect to VPN. I can not get it back up to speed without disconnecting from the VPN first.

My VPN is PIA auto connecting over TCP to port 443. UDP does not work at all and ports other than 443 do not work. SABnzbd is hosted on a Windows 2016 VM on my R710 with 2 VP and up to 4192 memory. The Virtual Adapter is configured on a physical Broadcom NIC with up to date firmware and drivers with VMQ disabled.

PIA kill switch is disabled. I would like to be able to enable it, but it drops the connection <50 KB/s immediately if enabled.

I appreciate any advice you can give about this. Let me know if you need logs and/or if there is an ideal time to gather the logs.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Speed drops from 3.5 MB/s to <100 KB/s at random

Post by safihre »

VPN's mess up the way connections are handled, you should be completly fine with just using SSL. Nobody can trace what you are downloading.

The problem is that SABnzbd has a way of lowering CPU usage that detects if connections are stale and then to poll them less often. However, on VPN's the "staleness" of a connection is modified by the VPN.
You could try lowering the number of connections to 7, in that case the CPU-lowering feature isn't active.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
Tripwyr

Re: Speed drops from 3.5 MB/s to <100 KB/s at random

Post by Tripwyr »

safihre wrote: June 11th, 2018, 11:26 am VPN's mess up the way connections are handled, you should be completly fine with just using SSL. Nobody can trace what you are downloading.

The problem is that SABnzbd has a way of lowering CPU usage that detects if connections are stale and then to poll them less often. However, on VPN's the "staleness" of a connection is modified by the VPN.
You could try lowering the number of connections to 7, in that case the CPU-lowering feature isn't active.
I will try this since I'm only using 8 connections currently anyway. I will look to split SABnzbd off from my torrents VM so that I can disable the VPN.