Speed limiting?

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
Cerberus

Speed limiting?

Post by Cerberus »

I’m setting up a copy of my Win7-based download system, which resides on my desktop, on an oldish laptop also running Win7 to use at another location. My desktop runs SABNZBD 2.3.0 (Plush Gold interface) and usually downloads at around 4Mbs. On the laptop I installed SABNZBD 2.3.4 with the default Glitter interface (I mention the interface because it shows a performance graph). When I download on the laptop, it won’t do more than 500Kbs, almost exactly, and the graph on the top is maxed out yet I have set the max at 5Mbs. Puzzled by this, I uninstalled and installed SABNZBD 2.3.0 so as to compare with my desktop. This time, the download would not exceed 1Mbs and again the graph was maxed out. On my desktop system, I changed to the Glitter interface and started a download. The configured max is 5Mbs and it was actually achieving 6.8Mbs. I moved the speed limiting bar to 1.8Mbs and the graph came down to reflect this, as I would expect. So, the laptop Activity puzzles me and I wonder if anyone can offer some insight here?
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Speed limiting?

Post by safihre »

This seems like a Mbps and a MB/s confusion maybe? Or at least in the post.
5Mb/s = 550KB/s, so that would make sense.

Try setting the limt to 10MB/s or something and see what happens.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
Cerberus

Post by Cerberus »

Ok, yes. Where I stated Mbs, I should have typed MBS. I have since upped the max to 8MBs without changing the issue.
opentoe

Post by opentoe »

Cerberus wrote: July 19th, 2018, 3:07 am Ok, yes. Where I stated Mbs, I should have typed MBS. I have since upped the max to 8MBs without changing the issue.
SabNZBD has real trouble handling long queue lists and starts to strain when there are jobs waiting and jobs downloading. Too bad the devs could of made it more robust to handle the speeds that people have in their houses now. Looks like that past by SabNZBD without them even knowing it. I tried another another download client. Loaded the hell out of queue, maxed out everything and bingo, downloading speeds I'm suppose to see. I wish I knew how to program and fix stuff like this myself. Very annoying when such good piece of software can't handle typical home speeds. Now, to figure out what product I'm eventually going to switch to? There are a few. Its just that 50MB/s isn't going to cut it anymore.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Yes, maybe you should do a programming course and write your own software.
We are indeed just sitting here doing nothing.

*sarcasm*
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
opentoe

Post by opentoe »

Yea, yea I know. I can debug and write some code myself just not as complicated as this program. I think I have been using SAB since the very first version came out. My desktop runs very efficient with all the utilities built in to keep it running at top performance. I thought a more mature and modern version of Sab would eventually help out in my situation and get that download speed close to max. I'd like to speak without the sarcasm, I've donated here several times, probably about $125 worth so far over the years because I do respect the program and like it a lot and think the developers should get a little something out of it. Who are you? The Administrator of just this forum, or the whole Sabnzbd project? I'm very sarcasic to, so don't always take what I say to heart. It just kills me that I can run AltBinz, load up the queue and pump down at 125MB/s consistently. I would imagine both programs use different download engines, but I would love to see those fast download speeds I was always use to from a while ago. Come on, can ya help a brother out?
OneCD

Post by OneCD »

This attitude is a perfect example of why I don't sell software.

As soon as someone forks over their hard-earned cash, they think they own it. ::)
Stuff I like: Apache bash cron DD-WRT Debian DNSMasq Entware FireFox GitHub ImageMagick Kate KDE LibreELEC Netrunner NFS NVIDIA OpenVPN Orvibo-S20 pfSense Python Raspberry-Pi RAID SABnzbd Transmission Usenet VirtualBox Watcher3 XFCE
opentoe

Post by opentoe »

OneCD wrote: August 7th, 2018, 1:09 pm This attitude is a perfect example of why I don't sell software.

As soon as someone forks over their hard-earned cash, they think they own it. ::)
So you are saying you never support "free" software? Sheesh man, no one pays for software to begin with then coupled with your attitude is the worst. I only posted a couple questions about speed. I was neither arrogant or disrespectful. Relax man.

UPDATE: And by the way I support these developers and many more and do not expect anything in return. Not even a tiny little support. Having a forum setup is just a benefit that they did for users to collaborate and help each other out. If you aren't going to post anything positive or add to the thread, then just pass by and hold the tongue if you can. :)
OneCD

Post by OneCD »

opentoe wrote: August 7th, 2018, 8:44 pm So you are saying you never support "free" software?
Oh, please - before you embarrass yourself further, read what I wrote. And don’t ask any more stupid questions.

opentoe wrote: August 7th, 2018, 8:44 pmIf you aren't going to post anything positive or add to the thread, then just pass by and hold the tongue if you can. :)
Really? Is that what you're doing? Exactly when are you going to post anything positive to this thread? All you've done so far is whine like a spoiled child.
Stuff I like: Apache bash cron DD-WRT Debian DNSMasq Entware FireFox GitHub ImageMagick Kate KDE LibreELEC Netrunner NFS NVIDIA OpenVPN Orvibo-S20 pfSense Python Raspberry-Pi RAID SABnzbd Transmission Usenet VirtualBox Watcher3 XFCE
Cerberus

Post by Cerberus »

Meanwhile, back at the coalface...trying to help a friend with a fresh install of SABNZBD and it all looks good but when downloading, the speed box says just above or below 500 KB/s and clicking the drop down, it says 100% of 8MB/s. Am I missing something here....is there a config item I've forgotten? The max is set at 8MB/s and the percentage at zero (I tried 100% and that changed nothing).
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

How is your setup? do you maybe use a VPN?

Did you try just using basic setup of no VPN and 8 connections to some trail accounts? Downloading a real Ubuntu ISO. What speeds can you get?
Cerberus

Post by Cerberus »

No VPN used on this Windows 7 setup. The download completes ok but at 500KBs whilst on another Windows 7 machine in the same network gets 4MBs!