SABnzbd / Usenet / Torrents - File Size Disparity?

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
Vectraat

SABnzbd / Usenet / Torrents - File Size Disparity?

Post by Vectraat »

This question is only partially aimed at SABnzbd as It's the download client that I've been using. This post probably has more to do with the difference in technology between Usenet and Torrents.

So, I've been trying to seed 3 videos that I downloaded from Usenet and they're all stuck in my torrent client at 99.9%.

According to the torrent leeching header, they're all missing 16 MiB. Yet when I do a file size cross comparison of the reported size on the torrent download page and in Windows --> Right Click --> Properties, they all look to be the same size. So I'm not sure how I'm missing 16 MiB per video when they're the same size. Clicking resume either results in a "stall" or what appears to be a re-download and the files are transferred to my "incomplete" folder.

So, I'm wondering, does uploading the same file to Usenet create some sort of file size disparity? Has anyone here been able to successfully seed videos they've downloaded from Usenet? If so, what client are you using and if you encountered a file size disparity, what did you do to address it?

Thanks.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: SABnzbd / Usenet / Torrents - File Size Disparity?

Post by safihre »

To know if it's the same file you need to do a md5 hash of it and see if it exactly matches. And maybe the torrent file includes some extra files? Maybe a preview?
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
Vectraat

Post by Vectraat »

safihre wrote: August 8th, 2018, 1:00 am To know if it's the same file you need to do a md5 hash of it and see if it exactly matches. And maybe the torrent file includes some extra files? Maybe a preview?
Ok, so that would involve me downloading the same file twice, correct? Then I need a piece of software to generate an MD5 hash to compare the two files?
There is no extra files/no preview/no .NFO/No .txt files or anything like that. It's just a single file. And the MediaInfo is the same for audio/video/subtitles.

One other user suggested the following, which is probably fairly accurate:

"It is fairly common for usenet uploaders to either modify the metadata for a file, remux the file, or even pad the
file with a bit of random data at the end. This is all done to change the files size and, more importantly, hash
value to prevent hash based dmca takedowns. Along with file obfuscation this is the only way in this day and age
for files to last long enough on usenet.
If you're using MediaInfo look up the text view and compare the Unique ID, odds are that that is different
indicating a remux or metadata edit.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Yes indeed that seems also a good way to check the difference!
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate