Synology DS1512+ Users and sabnzbd speeds

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
Ashok77

Synology DS1512+ Users and sabnzbd speeds

Post by Ashok77 »

Hello all,

Could DS1512+ users please chime in with their speeds using sabnzbd?

My ISP was providing 150 Mbps and sabnzbd (in a docker container ) was saturating it consistently. I would always get 19-21 MB/s.

I’ve since upgraded to 300 Mbps however sabnzbd is still only giving me 19-21 MB/s. Is that the max I’ll ever get out of my DS1512+ and sabnzbd combo? I posted this in reddit as well a comment that stood out is it could very well be the cpu limiting my speed. CPU utilation would bounce around but ultimately hover around 60-70%.

here's my setup
Synology DS1512+ (3 GB RAM and 5x3TB WD Reds)
Docker (v 17.05.0-0379)
SABnzbd (v 2.3.2 via linuxserver:sabnzbd:latest container)

Is anyone getting better than 20 MB/s from sabnzbd running on their DS1512+?
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Synology DS1512+ Users and sabnzbd speeds

Post by safihre »

Try to update your docker, 2.3.2 is not the latest.
Are you sure you didn't set a speedlimit in Config > General?
And did you assign enough memory to SAB in Config > General? 1G should do it.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
Ashok77

Post by Ashok77 »

I will try updating to the latest sabnzbd although I thought I was running the latest container offered by linuxserver. I'll look

WRT to speed limit and memory...under the General > Tuning section I have the following
Max Line Speed: blank/no value
Percentage of Line Speed: 100
Article Cache Limit: 1G
Ashok77

Post by Ashok77 »

I am also running Python 2.7.12 on the Synology which happens to be developed by yourself? Should I be on Python 3?
Ashok77

Post by Ashok77 »

I updated to 2.3.4. I am starting to get 21-23 MB/s more regularly which is a good start. I played with connections (15 seemed to work) a little to get there. Any other way to eek out more performance? I've been a long time user and love the Movies/TV sorting. I have installed the NZBGet docker and am able to get to 35-37 MB/s but on a purely subjective basis I don't like it. Is my ds1512 atom processor the limiting factor?
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Well, yes and no, the atom is the factor but only because Python is much more cpu heavier than the C++ that nzbget is written in.
I'm working on improving performance more, but it will probably still be some time and might not reach the same levels ever. If you want pure speed, you would indeed need nzbget.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
Ashok77

Post by Ashok77 »

Dang. I want the performance because I have the upgraded service however most of the downloads are automatic so it's not like I'm watching it all the time. I just go into plex and it's there, when and how fast it downloaded doesn't really matter. 1st world problems I guess.

Thank you for all the work you've done on Sab over the years. I guess this is an opportunity to update to newer NAS with a quad processor :)