SABnzbd Seedbox & Laptop - Minor Issues/Errors?

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
Vectraat

SABnzbd Seedbox & Laptop - Minor Issues/Errors?

Post by Vectraat »

So I'm using SABnzbd version 2.3.4 for both my Seedbox and Desktop/Laptop Clients.

Laptop Error:

1.) Does this mean that the download has failed? I clicked the downward arrow to check the download report and SAB said a repair was required. SAB said it repaired in "0 seconds". I was able to play the video file just fine, so I'm not sure why I received this warning?

Seedbox Errors:

2.) Not sure why I received warning errors about having too many connections. My provider gives me 30, so I set my seedbox to 30. I don't notice any connection error(s) with my desktop & laptop SABnzbd clients set to 30. Maybe my seedbox doesn't allow/can't handle 30 connections?

3.) Direct unpack automatically turned on. Is this normal? This feature has never automatically enabled itself on my desktop/laptop SAB clients before. Also, I'm not sure why SAB couldn't connect to my server? It gave me these errors, but the file started downloading anyway. *shrugs*

safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: SABnzbd Seedbox & Laptop - Minor Issues/Errors?

Post by safihre »

Direct Unpack is relatively new, we do a disk speed test before enabling it to see if your disks are fast enough. So we don't auto enable it on a raspberry pi system.

The other warning indicates it couldn't do a DNS lookup of your server (it says so in the warning) , and it will try again in 10 minutes. Usually a temporary glitch in server settings, for example a network connection that isn't available right when you start up.

You get 30 connections, but when 1 drops there could be a discrepancy between when sabnzbd counts the connection lost and when the server does. Our timeout is set to 30seconds, but if the server timeout is set to 60 seconds (there's no standard), it will think the old lost connection isn't lost yet. Always better to use lower number of connections, like 25 or even lower.

The article error usually indicates some read write problem, but shouldn't be a problem usually. It can be fixed in a second by par2 or sometimes doesn't need fixing at all.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
Vectraat

Post by Vectraat »

safihre wrote: October 6th, 2018, 9:15 am Direct Unpack is relatively new, we do a disk speed test before enabling it to see if your disks are fast enough. So we don't auto enable it on a raspberry pi system.
Hmm, that is curious, because Direct Unpack has never been automatically enabled for my Desktop/Laptop SABnzbd clients and my desktop is using a brand new/fast SSD. I can't imagine that my seedbox--which is relatively cheap, $18.48 per month--is using a disc that is as fast or faster.
The other warning indicates it couldn't do a DNS lookup of your server (it says so in the warning) , and it will try again in 10 minutes. Usually a temporary glitch in server settings, for example a network connection that isn't available right when you start up.
I do recall running a successful "Test Server" at the exact moment before downloading if that's what you're referring to. So I'm surprised to see that there was an issue. There were other times that I did run "Test Server" and I couldn't get a "Connection Successful!" prompt though. Why would that be?
You get 30 connections, but when 1 drops there could be a discrepancy between when sabnzbd counts the connection lost and when the server does. Our timeout is set to 30seconds, but if the server timeout is set to 60 seconds (there's no standard), it will think the old lost connection isn't lost yet. Always better to use lower number of connections, like 25 or even lower.
Hmm, I've never experienced this issue on my Laptop/Desktop SABnzbd with 30 connections and my seedbox connection is faster than my home connection so it seems strange to me that I would need to lower to 25 or lower. Will that result in a substantial download speed hit?
The article error usually indicates some read write problem, but shouldn't be a problem usually. It can be fixed in a second by par2 or sometimes doesn't need fixing at all.
Oh, like a read/write problem with my laptop SSD. Well, whatever the issue was I was surprised to see it fixed in "0 seconds." -- maybe that was some kind of glitch.

I'll keep using SABnzbd on my seedbox and see how it behaves moving forward.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

- It could be that the DirectUnpack test was done at a point that your disk was busy with something else. We only check it once. After that you can manually enable it in Config > Switches.

- It seems there is some routing problem between your newsserver and your seedbox. Even if the seedbox has a faster connection, it doesn't always ensure a more stable connection. Not all routes on the internet are equal ;) Make sure you use a server in the region of your seedbox, if your newsserver for example provides special US/EU domains. That explains both the failed DNS and the dropped connections.

- Usually 1 connection can already give you multiple MB/s, so the performance hit should be minimal. We usually suggest to only use 8 or so connections, it can easily go to 20MB/s.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate