Sab very slow with certain VPN protocols

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
superbotje

Sab very slow with certain VPN protocols

Post by superbotje »

I have a problem with speed.

Normally i have around 5.7 MB/s.
If i use VPN (on automatic, it will use UDP or TCP) it drops to around 200 KB/s.

Now i did some searching and i found that Sab has some build-in "optimization" which kicks in at >7 connections.
Problem is, that with my usenet provider i have a 50 Mbit connection, with 30 connections. (i use 26)

NO VPN
With 26 connections : 5.7 MB/s

VPN (UDP / TCP)
With 26 connections : +/- 200 KB/s (equal to 1 connection)
With 7 connections : +/- 1.4 MB/s (equal to 7 connections)
With 7+ it drops back to 200 KB/s

VPN (L2TP / SSTP)
With 26 connections : 5.7 MB/s

Since L2TP is less secure, and SSTP keeps disconnecting (since latest VPN client update), i want to use the UDP / TCP, which kills the speed at >7 connections.
Is there a way around that optimization. Turn it off, or turn it up to 26 (or even 50 with other usenet account)?

Other newsreaders work fine with the UDP / TCP protocol, but i like Sab.

I was using version 2.5, updated to the 2.6 beta this morning, still same issue.
Running on Windows 7 Pro.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Sab very slow with certain VPN protocols

Post by sander »

I believe that 7 or 8 number was builtin some time ago to avoid high CPU loads (trying to read from an empty pipe). I can't find in which SABnzbd version.

Anyway:

If you ran SABnzbd from source (like on Linux), you could have changed the parameter yourself.

On Windows ... maybe worth trying going to an older SAB, without that optimization? Maybe SAB 2.0.0 to start with? NOTE: only change SAB version with an empty queue
superbotje

Post by superbotje »

No, i like this version, older versions have bugs in them that i'm glad i got rid off.
And i believe they already implemented it in a 1.x version, so that's too many versions back.

Maybe in a future version add an option (also for Windows :) ) to turn is off, or set it higher.

The problem here is that different newsservers have different amount of connections.
Nowadays most work with 20, 30, 40 or even 60 connections, which is way above the 7 implemented in the software.
Mine has 30 connections for 50 Mbit. Which means every of those 30 connections is 1/30 x 50 Mbit.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

I hope to rework the downloader soon and get rid of this code..
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate