Error [Error 5] Access is denied while running par2_repair on set ...

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
DbltapTx

Error [Error 5] Access is denied while running par2_repair on set ...

Post by DbltapTx »

Run into something I can't seem to find a solution for. I'll admit, even with 30 years in IT, I can still be a n00b on some things. SO give me a little space on this one.

I've setup SABnzbd on a Win 10 Home desktop. For the most part, I've VERY impressed. My experience has been with Newsleecher and SABnzbd is blowing it away. Love the way this works. I do have SABnzb installed as a Windows service & I'm using the Windows 64 Stable release. Everything seems to work fine on most downloads.

As we all know, from time to time, files can get corrupt while downloading. I understand SABnbzd should repair these on the fly. But when there is a missing piece to a file, I get the following message.

Error [Error 5] Access is denied while running par2_repair on set ... and the name of the nzb follows.

I looked through the SAB FAQ. And a tried to search the forum. But I can't seem to locate a fix. I am able to go to the appropriate folder in ../incomplete and run QuickPAR of the par2 file and repair the download. But I just can't seem to locate what part of the config I need to change to get SABnzbd to do it on the fly.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Error [Error 5] Access is denied while running par2_repair on set ...

Post by sander »

Can you temporarily disable your virusscanner and try again?
DbltapTx

Post by DbltapTx »

I'll try that on the next download. Should I just go ahead and exclude those directories? I'm using AVG.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

Yes, if you can exclude SAB's directories, that's good too.
DbltapTx

Post by DbltapTx »

Ok. I excluded
C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\sabnzbd\*
C:\Program Files\SABnzbd\*

Anything else?
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

No, you should exclude the SAB download directories, probably "...Downloads\complete" and "...Downloads\incomplete"

I have no Windows, so I cannot check.
DbltapTx

Post by DbltapTx »

Tuned the AVG completely off. Still failed. :-(
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

Really?

Back to the basics: download the NZB from https://nzbindex.com/search/?q=reftestnzb+auto+e5600869 and put it into SABn, and let SAB download it. What is the result?
DbltapTx

Post by DbltapTx »

mytestpost part01 rar Completed

No issue
DbltapTx

Post by DbltapTx »

And like I say, all the rar files and par files do get downloaded. And I can run QuickPar manually and repair the file. I also did a Retry from the web interface. When asked, I used the same nzb. Still failed with Access Denied.
DbltapTx

Post by DbltapTx »

Ok... We may be getting somewhere. I looked at the log for the last failure. The error happened right after this command...

C:\\Program Files\\SABnzbd\\win\\par2\\multipar\\par2j64.exe

I tried to run that file and got the following windows message
Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.
DbltapTx

Post by DbltapTx »

Ok. Tag as a solution!

I downloaded the latest version of MultiPar. Per the instructions, I ran the setup program as Administrator.
I then set the destination directory to be C:\Program Files\SABnzbd\win\par2\ It then added the Multipar directory and all the latest files.

I then went back to SABnzbd webpage and did a retry on the last failed file. Multipar solved all the bad blocks, extracted the file from the multiple rar files. And completed the post processing. I think we have a solution here. Multipar MUST be installed as an administrator. Not sure if the newest versions were needed or not. But I did use MultiPar1302_setup.exe

Thanks for getting me pointed in the right direction.
Last edited by DbltapTx on November 13th, 2018, 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

OK, good for you. Thanks for reporting back.

And my lesson learned: "[Error 5] Access is denied while running" does/could mean the executable is not executable at all?
DbltapTx

Post by DbltapTx »

The lesson here may be that files placed in Windows 10 - C:\Program Files\ or C:\Program Files (x86)\ may need Admin rights to execute.

The instructions in the Multipar README.txt were very explicit to execute MultiPar1302_setup.exe with "Run as Administrator" privileges.

The other lesson may be... Windows 10 updates may have changed enough that the older version of Multipar installed by SABnzbd may no longer work if installed after that update. There were several newer versions on the Multipar web site. I used the 1302 version which was dated Oct 10, 2018. That date was after the latest Windows 10 upgrade. I don't KNOW if that is the issue or not. But those are the two differences that got me working.

Thanks again for your quick answers and help to get me pointed at the solution.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Windows 10 updates mess many things up, this might be one of them. Indeed you need to have admin rights to do things in Program Files, but so far this has not really been a problem when running as a service.
Did you follow all the instructions in https://sabnzbd.org/wiki/advanced/sabnz ... ws-service ?
It also requires you to run several commands as admin and also to link SAB service to a specific user account that needs all the permissions.
The version of Multipar shouldn't make a difference, the only changes between the SAB-included one and the new one are deep in the internals of Multipar.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate