only SABnzbd over VPN on a Synology

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
Patrick1610

only SABnzbd over VPN on a Synology

Post by Patrick1610 »

Hi everyone!

For a while, I have been looking to improve my usenet security.
I would like to do the following on my Synology NAS. I don’t know if it is possible, but if it is I am really looking for some help/instructions.

I want to run SABnzbd on my NAS with the option that it only connects over a VPN connection. While the whole NAS needs to be accessible at all times (and at faster rates than my VPN), I don’t want the rest of my NAS to use the VPN. I do have a spare ethernet port, if that makes things easier (for example, let only SAB use that port, so I can bind that IP to the VPN from within the router).

Can this be done, and if yes, how?

Thanks in advance!

Patrick
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: only SABnzbd over VPN on a Synology

Post by sander »

I've changed the title for you

The title was "SABnzbd over VPN" ... which is possible, but with consequences for accessible of the SAB webinterface.

But I've changed it to "only SABnzbd over VPN on a Synology" ... which has much more impact:

1. a VPN on Synology
2. route only certain traffic (based on destination IP and/or port, or very maybe source application) over a VPN in general
3 the combination of 1 and 2
4 .... combining 1, 2 and 3: only SAB's traffic over a VPN on a Synology
5 ... having SAB still accessible from your LAN

1, 2 and 3 should be answered first, and have nothing to do with SABnzbd. So that is not something for this forum

5. has to do with binding of SABnzbd ... hey, wait, what is your update on your question and my answers on viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24040