Slower SAB DL After Internet Speed Upgrade

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
sundialexpress

Slower SAB DL After Internet Speed Upgrade

Post by sundialexpress »

Had 200 Mbit (megabits per second) connection and could max downloads with SAB Docker in unRAID at 23-24 MB/s (megabytes per second). I increased my internet plan to a 400 Mbit connection. Now maximum downloads with SAB are less than 20 MB/s. Doubling my internet speed I would have expected to see downloads at greater than the 23-24 MB/s that I was seeing initially.

Hardware: Dual Xeon LGA 1366 @ 2.27 Ghz, w/ 48 GB ECC RAM, gigabit ethernet port

Pystone Test: 83,153
Download Folder Speed: 124.9 MB/s
Complete Folder Speed: 124.7 MB/s

iPerf Home Network Test: 940 Mbit/s between server and router

1000 MB SAB DL Test: same download behavior as below, a ramp up to 25 MB/s with immediate drop to 10 MB/s or so.

Additional Behavior: Now when initiating downloads in SAB, I usually see the DL ramp up fairly quickly to a high number but quickly drop and taper off to something slow. For example, I might see an initial ramp up to 25 MB/s, with an almost immediate drop to 10 MB/s. If I pause the download, I'll often see a spike in the reported download speed in SAB as high as 45 MB/s. But I am never able to actually download at those higher speeds.

Before the internet upgrade, download behavior looked like this: initiate download in SAB and see an initial ramp up to 23 MB/s and then speeds hover around 22-24 MB/s. Sometimes a drop would occur for expected reasons, such as high cpu use during a file repair, or missing blocks in the download. But that's normal and expected.

Alternate SAB: I installed SAB on my laptop and am able to download through a wired gigabit ethernet port on my network at 50 MB/s.

Thank you in advance,.

What is going on?
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Slower SAB DL After Internet Speed Upgrade

Post by sander »

sundialexpress wrote: March 16th, 2019, 6:01 pm
Alternate SAB: I installed SAB on my laptop and am able to download through a wired gigabit ethernet port on my network at 50 MB/s.

That is interesting ...

What if ... you run SAB with a fresh ini file on your Xeon machine. So something like "sabnzbd -f my-test-sab.ini". And then the same settings as on your laptop. So probably as little settings as possible.
sundialexpress

Post by sundialexpress »

I deleted the docker, docker image, and all application data, and then reinstalled SAB docker. Left default install settings. Added one server with the same number of connections. No improvement. When I pause a download, the speed jumps up to 35 MB/s momentarily before going to zero. It's almost as if there is 35 MB/s availability but something is causing a bottleneck.
sundialexpress

Post by sundialexpress »

So, I've been racking my brain trying to figure out "why" SAB Docker in unRAID slowed down. To reiterate, when I had a 200 Mbit connection, I could saturate DL 22-24 MB/s over VPN even. After upgrading to 400 Mbit, my SAB DL dropped significantly.

Last night I revisited server tuning, and pinned CPU cores to SAB Docker. I started with two hyperthreads last night. No change. This morning, I added two more hyperthreads, and now with four hyperthreads pinned to SAB, I at least get 20-25 MB/s DL. I'll try pinning two more to see if there is further improvement.

Additionally, with four pinned hyperthreads the DL speeds no longer dip when SAB unpacks.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

sander wrote: March 17th, 2019, 2:10 am
sundialexpress wrote: March 16th, 2019, 6:01 pm

That is interesting ...

What if ... you run SAB with a fresh ini file on your Xeon machine. So something like "sabnzbd -f my-test-sab.ini". And then the same settings as on your laptop. So probably as little settings as possible.
What I meant: can you run SAB with a fresh ini file on your Xeon machine WITHOUT DOCKER. So on the OS itself.

Reason: rule out docker.

(FWIW: I wonder if docker can have the same delay as VM's due to the NAT-layer in VM, in combination with SAB's reading mechanism if #connections >= 8 . I tried for myself, and i both cases I get a nice 68 MB/s, but I wonder about your setup )