Inconsisent Download Speeds - Again!

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
gibbywmu

Inconsisent Download Speeds - Again!

Post by gibbywmu »

Hi All,

Had this issue a few months back. This time, its even stranger, and I can't figure out what's going on. My download speeds from my laptop (wireless) go up near 20MB/s, but my desktop (hardwired to router) are only getting at best 10-11 MB/s. I've attached screenshots of the SAB screen so everyone can see. There is no maximum speed limit set on either SAB, so I don't know what is going on.

Can someone offer some advice as to what I should be looking for here? I prefer to download from the desktop, as that is my HTPC and where all of my movies are. Then I don't have to transfer the files directly over. I had a similar issue months ago where I literally would have to REBOOT my HTPC every single time I want to grab something. Removed SAB, resintalled, tried everything........randomly started working again. Tried wiping out spyware/malware, you name it. Very frustrating.

sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Inconsisent Download Speeds - Again!

Post by sander »

but my desktop (hardwired to router) are only getting at best 10-11 MB/s
Sounds like Fast Ethernet (100 Mbps), not GigE (1000 Mbps).

So ... on your desktop, what speed do you get on https://fast.com/ (with no downloads running)
gibbywmu

Post by gibbywmu »

Sander,

I just checked using that link. With no downloads running, on my desktop, this morning it was reading 100 Mbps. On the laptop, it's reading 30 Mbps.....not that's even stranger! I assumed it would be slower on the laptop because its not hard wired to the router like my desktop HTPC. Not I really have no idea what's going on. LOL. I'll try downloading the same file from the laptop and HTPC, and see what speeds I get this morning.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

gibbywmu wrote: March 24th, 2019, 8:29 am Sander,

I just checked using that link. With no downloads running, on my desktop, this morning it was reading 100 Mbps.
So the 10-11 MB/s with SABnzbd on your Desktop is perfect linespeed.
gibbywmu

Post by gibbywmu »

So why would it be faster d/l on the desktop when it's wireless? Doesn't make any sense?
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

gibbywmu wrote: March 25th, 2019, 7:27 am So why would it be faster d/l on the desktop when it's wireless? Doesn't make any sense?
Wifi can be 200 Mbps. Which is faster than Fast Ethernet (100 Mbps)

But, please, do not mix up too many parameters in on thread: desktop/laptop, wifi/wired, linespeed/SAB-speed, bits/bytes