unrar trying to use password when rar is not encrypted

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
ronch808

unrar trying to use password when rar is not encrypted

Post by ronch808 »

I've been using SABnzbd for years on a Linux system. I've decided I needed to install it on my laptop for when I travel. I have SABnzbd installed and working. It downloads everything the nzb describes. However when it tries to unrar the files it thinks they need a password and uses the file name when trying to unrar the files. This fails saying "Unknown option" from the unrar. At this point I can go into the incomplete folder and unrar the rar files and everything works fine, meaning that I end up with all the correct files. I just cannot get this to happen from SABnzbd in the post processing due to the error of trying to use the file name as a password. Has anybody else seen this? Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. I'm using the very latest SABnzbd (downloaded today).
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: unrar trying to use password when rar is not encrypted

Post by sander »

I would do this:

Stop SABnzbd
find sabnzbd.ini and sabnzbd.ini.bak and remove them
Start SABnzbd ... that should give the wizard. If not, the previous step failed.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

It indeed seems there's something weird in your options, so indeed what Sander suggests is worth a try to just test with 1 server and no other special settings.

Do you maybe have a pre-queue script setup?
How is the name of the NZB formatted?
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
ronch808

Post by ronch808 »

Thanks for the replies. I've done what was asked above and started the wizard again. Once it restarted it's still doing the same thing. I tested one of the 3 NZB's that failed and it's doing the same thing. Here is the output from the download:
NameCigarettes After Sex - Cigarettes After Sex[indie] - [0
Completeda few seconds ago
StatusFailed
Size111.2 MB
Categorya.b.boneless
Password3] - "Cigarettes After Sex - Cigarettes After Sex[indie].nzb" yEnc
PathC:\Users\ronch\Downloads\complete\_FAILED_Cigarettes After Sex - Cigarettes After Sex[indie] - [0
Sourcehttps://nzbindex.com/download/60118704/Cigarettes-After-Sex---Cigarettes-After-Sexindie---03---Cigarettes-After-Sex---Cigarettes-After-Sexindie.nzb
DownloadDownloaded in 5 mins 52 seconds at an average of 323 KB/s
Serversnews-us.newshosting.com=111.0 MB
Repair[Cigarettes After Sex - Cigarettes After Sex[indie].rar] Quick Check OK
UnpackTrying unrar with password "3] - "Cigarettes After Sex - Cigarettes After Sex[indie].nzb" yEnc"
[Cigarettes After Sex - Cigarettes After Sex[indie]] ERROR: Unknown option:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've tried 3 different NZB's and yesterday all 3 had the same error. As you can see above it's using the file name as a password which of course doesn't work as the rar is not encrypted. I can go into the downloaded rar files and unrar them and it works just fine. I just have to do it by hand.

BTW, I did have a small NZB work fine. So it's just some NZB's as well.

Any other ideas? As I've said this has something to do with SABnzbd running on Windows and certain NZB files. I've never had any issues like this on my home Linux system.

Thanks
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

I would try two things:

Rename the .NZB itself to something with only normal characters: letters, numbers, space. So no "[" and "{" etc. Then try again.

On the Windows machine, in SAB -> Wrench Symbol -> Test Download -> 100MB. How does that work.
ronch808

Post by ronch808 »

Thanks Sander. I did what you asked and changed the naming of the NZB to remove the "[" and replace the space with "_". Then I had SABnzbd work on the NZB. It worked fine. So some how the name of the NZB was causing the issue. I've never run into this on my Linux install of SABnzbd, It's just this new Windows 10 install. Thanks so much for the help. BTW, I inspected the NZB to see it is did have a password in it and it did not.

So is this a bug in the post processing area of SABnzbd? Seems like it should not be doing this.

Thanks again Sander.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

https://sabnzbd.org/wiki/advanced/passw ... ected-rars says
In the NZB file name you can embed the password like this: My Job {{PW}}.nzb or My Job password=PW.nzb
This will set the the job name to My Job and the password to PW.

You can rename the job in the queue.
My Job / PASSWORD will set the password. The / is used as a separator because it cannot be part of a folder name.
The folder name will be My Job and PASSWORD will be used as the decryption password when unpacking.
... so does that match your NZB name?
ronch808

Post by ronch808 »

No, the special characters around the password are "[]" and not "{}". When I got the NZB to work I remove the the braces ("[]") and what was in it. So it's not exactly this. It seems that SABnzbd is looking for either "{}" or "[]" to indicate that content between the braces is the password. So maybe just update the page that you pointed to above? Or I guess file a bug and it probably doesn't need two different special characters to indicate an embedded password.

This brings up an interesting point though. Should the programs that create the NZB's know about this? This isn't your problem, I know, but it seems like this can trip up others.

Thanks for all the help Sander. It's much appreciated.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

Very strange, it shouldn't trigger on [], only {}.
What was the original filename?
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate