Would like to understand better

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
PeaceLove

Would like to understand better

Post by PeaceLove »

Hello. If this post should be somewhere else, I apologize.

I have been using Sabnzbd and downloading for a couple of years, but would like to understand what things mean.

1) I always look for the file to download that has a .mp3 in it. When I see a file, with the same title, but it contains par2 files, I avoid those. I have a slight understanding of what they are, but why would someone download the par2 files, when you can download the .mp3 file?

2) How about when I see a file (a .mp3, with a .nzb) but it says: collection size: 235.26 MB, parts available: 957 / 963. Parts available? Does that mean that the .mp3 is not complete?

I have Google searched these topics and learning what I can. I appreciate any help so that I may be more knowledgeable to this matter.

Thank you.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Re: Would like to understand better

Post by sander »

Par2 will take care of repairing broken and missing files.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by safihre »

To add to that: par2 files can be used if somehow the data got corrupted during the uploading/downloading. So it's good to have it.
SABnzbd will only get the par2 files if the files need repair, we can detect that.
When creating par2, it can check the integrity by analyzing parts of the data. The size of these analysis parts impact performance. The uploader can decide how many parts it wants to split the analysis in.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate
PeaceLove

Post by PeaceLove »

So if I see a .mp3 file I want, are we saying that I should not only download that but then, at the same time download a file that has a par2? Or if I have a problem with the .mp3 I should then download the par2?

Thank you for your patience and help.
sander
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by sander »

PeaceLove wrote: August 18th, 2019, 7:55 pm So if I see a .mp3 file I want, are we saying that I should not only download that but then, at the same time download a file that has a par2?
Yes. And SAB will only download the par2 files if repairing is needed.