Help with logic in article ... (Windows)

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
cyman1964uk

Help with logic in article ... (Windows)

Post by cyman1964uk »

Hi all,

Please forgive me if this post is in the wrong section / doesn't make sense, etc; this is my first post here.

A few years back, I decided to take the plunge with 'Cord Cutting' using PLEX as described in this article:

www. cuttingcords. com/home/ultimate-server/newsgroups-and-sabnzbd

by Trent Foxingworth (I believe) over 5 years ago. It seemed well written and a straightforward step-by-step guide that could be used to get up and running with SABNZBD as the main 'content grabber' for NZB files.

I am pretty sure I have have the entire system working really well at some point in time, but then with rebuilds of PCs, reinstalls of various software components, etc, I have forgotten how I previously set things up when things were running at their smoothest.

So, I have decided it's time to try to get a better understanding of what Foxingworth did rather than just parrot-fashion following his procedure in an attempt to be able to fix things on my own.

The article I mention above is part of a bigger document which guides a user step-by-step in how to set up preferences, etc for each part of a cord-cutting system. That part concerns SABNZBD ...

When he comes to Config > Folders, he makes the following suggestion:
  • Change Temporary Download Folder to ..\Downloads\Incomplete
    Set Minimum Free Space for Temporary Download Folder to 1G
    Change Completed Download Folder to ..\Downloads\Complete
    Click Save Changes
These folders are to be made relative to a Default Base Folder, namely

C:\Users\*Username*\

Here lies my first question. Do you think he means (as I believe he does) that the Temporary Download Folder should be

C:\Users\*Username*\Downloads\Incomplete

OR do you think he intends the '..' in the folder to signify 'go to parent folder', meaning that it would be

C:\Users\Downloads\Incomplete ?

My remainingl questions concern what he says about the Categories section right towards the end of the article. He says:
  • In the blank row, type in sonarr for the Category. Type in ..\Incomplete\sonarr for the Folder/Path. Click Add.
    In the new blank row, type in couchpotato for the Category. Type in ..\Incomplete\couchpotato for Folder/Path. Click Add.
    Once more, in the blank row type in headphones for Category. Type in ..\Incomplete\headphones for the Folder/Path. Click Add.
This time, the Relative folders are based on: C:\Users\*Username*\Downloads\Complete

Taking the Sonarr line as our example, I wonder whether his '..' characters just mean 'and so on', so the intended folder is

C:\Users\*Username*\Downloads\Complete\Incomplete\sonarr

or does it mean 'go to parent folder', giving

C:\Users\*Username*\Downloads\Incomplete\sonarr ?

To me, only the case where '..' is taken to mean 'up one level' / 'go to parent folder' makes any sense, because the use of a path containing a string "Downloads\Complete\Incomplete\sonarr" is illogical, but I'd just like to see confirmation that this is so from someone else.

What also gives me doubts is that if we assume '..' to mean 'go to parent folder' in both cases above, then the Temporary Download Folder becomes:

C:\Users\Downloads\Incomplete

whereas the Sonarr folder becomes:

C:\Users\*Username*\Downloads\Incomplete\sonarr

Note that the Username is contained in the second path, but it is not in the first. Wht would there be two structures like this used?

My final question concerns Foxingworth's statement immediately following the Categories section description above. He says:
"This will make more sense later, but in a nutshell, this is how our managers know where to find completed downloads." But he has just been describing pathnames which refer to Incomplete - so how can this help the managers know where to find completed stuff?

Thank you for your time in reading this. I look forward to hearing back from some of you (hopefully) with some clarification.

Kind regards,
Simon.
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Help with logic in article ... (Windows)

Post by safihre »

Hi,
C:\Users\Incomplete\sonarr
This one will happen with the .. in the path, because the base folder is listed on top of the page :)
There really is no need to modify this, it doesn't really matter where the downloads are stored because Sonarr will use SABnzbd's API to ask the location of the downloads. It does this using the Categories, so it only picks up downloads that are from Sonarr.
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate