UnRar Totally blocking disk IO, 'freezing' system

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
Addict

UnRar Totally blocking disk IO, 'freezing' system

Post by Addict »

Hi all,

Long time user of SABNZBD (currently on Windows 10) and just as long faced with a, for me, big issue.
Every time, and I do mean every time, when SABNZBD is unpacking a file, the unrar process totally blocks any and all access to the file system. even with relative small archives I am regularly having to sit there watching the busy cursor doing its rotating thing until finally, after a few minutes I can get a single IO request slipped in and whatever program I'm using wanting disk access, unfreezes for a moment to do what it needs to do.

This is particularly aggravating with archives of a few gigabytes, This can often cause the system to be totally unresponsive for a loooong time (10+ minutes is no exception)

That this is really unacceptable is putting it mildly, a competitive unpacker like 7-Zip (ironically also included in the sabnzbd setup) is leaps and bounds more flexible in that at least the standalone unpacker allows me to normally continue what I am doing while it happily unpacks whatever size archive, releasing as many cpu cycles to other process as required to allow the system to run reasonably smooth.

Any chance I can totally exclude this unrar mongrel from being used and have sabnzbd solely use the 7zip unpacker ?
safihre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: UnRar Totally blocking disk IO, 'freezing' system

Post by safihre »

In Config > Switches, enable Advanced Settings and then set External process priority to Idle, this should help I think.

We can't switch to 7Zip because the uploaders keep using more weird stuff that only UnRar really supports. So we are kind of locked to using UnRar. Also, for 99% of people it does work as expected. It really seems to depend on system settings and software like virusscanners to cause such lockups. Usually it just runs silently in the background..
If you like our support, check our special newsserver deal or donate at: https://sabnzbd.org/donate