Synology SAB traffic overloads router

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
rtfmoz

Synology SAB traffic overloads router

Post by rtfmoz »

Here is a new one for you. I download stuff using SAB all the time from my desktop. Awesome program I might add... kudo's to the developers. Saw there was a Syno Community package for my NAS. Installed it, setup news providers, valid SSL certs, news indexer integration, the works yeah? Tested all of that, and it queues beautifully.

So I kick off a download and the internet in house just went bye-bye! No DNS (router provides DNS), nothing. I check SAB and its humming along at max speed but nothing else is working. I try to login to the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter GUI,... no response. Try SSH and its very slow, get on and the uptime shows me a load average of 11. I am like what is going on here?!? So I slow down the download and watch the load average on my router go down as well. Speed it up and it climbs back up and rapidly becomes slow to respond to commands.

So I kill the download, go back to my desktop running SAB and kickoff the same download. Same maximum speed the load average climbs a little to 1.3 and just sits there. No problems at all. The desktop and the NAS sit on the same network. Same download, same application, same network so what is going on with SAB in the Synology?

I am scratching my head... ideas anyone?
[Synology DS918+ , 4 x IronWolf Pro 8TB, 2 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO+ 250GB Cache]
rtfmoz

Re: Synology SAB traffic overloads router

Post by rtfmoz »

I downgraded to 2.3.8 with no change in behavior. Going to try 2.3.7 and see what happens. I'm more than happy to perform any diagnosis to assist. This is a 100/40 cable internet connection. I am pretty well versed in tech and linux for that matter. Eg. I'm using the default synology certs for SSL from /usr/syno/etc/certificate/system/default. I had to modify the perms so it was world readable. Probably should set the group to the new SAB one so I can tighten the file perms.
rtfmoz

Post by rtfmoz »

Ok well 2.3.7 shows no change in behavior. I'm hesitant to go back further without a recommendation from someone more knowledgeable. Its hard to tell if its a platform or application issue. Mind you the NAS works perfectly otherwise. I'm verifying the behaviour with a uptime running in a 5 second loop on the NAS and the Router. NAS climbs to about 0.8. Router just keeps climbing, gets to 9+ and I start pulling the plug as it will affect the LAN.

Uptime logs https://paste2.org/I6Y321E3
jcfp
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by jcfp »

rtfmoz wrote: April 28th, 2020, 8:09 pmSo I kick off a download and the internet in house just went bye-bye! No DNS (router provides DNS), nothing. I check SAB and its humming along at max speed but nothing else is working. I try to login to the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter GUI,... no response. Try SSH and its very slow, get on and the uptime shows me a load average of 11. I am like what is going on here?!? So I slow down the download and watch the load average on my router go down as well. Speed it up and it climbs back up and rapidly becomes slow to respond to commands.
Sabnzbd doesn't do anything weird in terms of network traffic. Your nas also seems fine with a load average lower than 1.

So rather than downgrading sab, focus your attention on that Ubiquiti EdgeRouter thing. Best guess it's trying to do some dumb 'security' checks, 'analysis' or traffic 'shaping' on the usenet-related network traffic and getting overwhelmed in the process. For someone well versed in linux it should be fairly simple to figure out what is going awry - just speed limit sab to the point your router is still responsive enough on ssh and start looking at resource use on the device.