WARNING::[sabnzbdplus:1172] SABnzbd was started with encoding ISO-8859-1, this should be UTF-8.

Get help with all aspects of SABnzbd
Forum rules
Help us help you:
  • Are you using the latest stable version of SABnzbd? Downloads page.
  • Tell us what system you run SABnzbd on.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Do you experience problems during downloading?
    Check your connection in Status and Interface settings window.
    Use Test Server in Config > Servers.
    We will probably ask you to do a test using only basic settings.
  • Do you experience problems during repair or unpacking?
    Enable +Debug logging in the Status and Interface settings window and share the relevant parts of the log here using [ code ] sections.
Franz A

WARNING::[sabnzbdplus:1172] SABnzbd was started with encoding ISO-8859-1, this should be UTF-8.

Post by Franz A »

Hello!
I just installed sabnzbd (2.3.6 [190ec0a]) on my raspbian system (Raspberry Pi 4B 2GB).
Everything looks fine, it seems to run, I can access it from the browser on my Mac in the LAN but there is this Warning-message on startup:

Code: Select all

2020-06-17 22:33:23,050::WARNING::[sabnzbdplus:1172] SABnzbd was started with encoding ISO-8859-1, this should be UTF-8. Expect problems with Unicoded file and directory names in downloads.
What can I do to get rid of this warning, or ist it not so bad and I will have to live with it?

My raspbian (uname -a - output):

Linux raspberrypi 4.19.118-v7l+ #1311 SMP Mon Apr 27 14:26:42 BST 2020 armv7l GNU/Linux
Debian 10.4

I already changed the system localisation default to "en_US_UTF-8" but this had no effect, even after reboot.

Please excuse my english - I am from Austria ;)
And please, if you have further questions - be so kind to explain it "the easy way" for me, because I'm not very familar with that Linux-stuff.
I have seen one similar thread but because there the solution was the Docker-Solution I think this is not my solution.

Yours
Franz
OneCD

Re: WARNING::[sabnzbdplus:1172] SABnzbd was started with encoding ISO-8859-1, this should be UTF-8.

Post by OneCD »

Can you run these before launching SABnzbd?

export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
export LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
export LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
Stuff I like: Apache bash cron DD-WRT Debian DNSMasq Entware FireFox GitHub ImageMagick Kate KDE LibreELEC Netrunner NFS NVIDIA OpenVPN Orvibo-S20 pfSense Python Raspberry-Pi RAID SABnzbd Transmission Usenet VirtualBox Watcher3 XFCE
Franz A

Re: WARNING::[sabnzbdplus:1172] SABnzbd was started with encoding ISO-8859-1, this should be UTF-8.

Post by Franz A »

Hello OneCD and thank you for this reply!

I did run these commands before launch of SABnzbd.
No more warning in the Startup-Process about encoding. So good!

But - do I have to do this every startup or can I "automate" these steps?

yours
Franz
OneCD

Post by OneCD »

Assuming you're using SystemD, you could create a shell-script that runs those commands first, then launches SABnzbd.

#!/usr/bin/env bash

export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
export LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
export LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
/opt/sabnzbd/SABnzbd.py --browser 0
(... adjusting the path to wherever your SABnzbd is installed. ;) )

Then modify your [[email protected]] file to exec your new shell-script.
Stuff I like: Apache bash cron DD-WRT Debian DNSMasq Entware FireFox GitHub ImageMagick Kate KDE LibreELEC Netrunner NFS NVIDIA OpenVPN Orvibo-S20 pfSense Python Raspberry-Pi RAID SABnzbd Transmission Usenet VirtualBox Watcher3 XFCE
Franz A

Post by Franz A »

OK. Now it works fine.
Thank you.

Finally, after fiddeling around with my inability to creat a propper shell-script, i discovered the file
/etc/default/sabnzbdplus
which I edited
(EXTRAOPTS=export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
AND
USER=pi).

And that did the job! Without any other work from me SABnzbd started as a service at the next reboot.
All fine.

yours
Franz
OneCD

Post by OneCD »

Franz A wrote: June 19th, 2020, 2:05 pm Finally, after fiddeling around with my inability to creat a propper shell-script, i discovered the file
/etc/default/sabnzbdplus
which I edited
(EXTRAOPTS=export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
AND
USER=pi).
Oh cool! I didn't know about that one.

Good work! :)
jcfp
Release Testers
Release Testers

Post by jcfp »

Nice to see thing worked out. Using the init.d service that comes with the package - as you eventually did - had the side effect of letting you benefit from the sane environment it sets up. Basically, LANG is taken from /etc/default/locale (if defined), and PYTHONIOENCODING hardcoded to utf-8 to get rid of encoding related issues.
Franz A wrote: June 19th, 2020, 2:05 pmEXTRAOPTS=export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
Do note that whatever is set in EXTRAOPTS gets added onto the options the script passes to sabnzbd, so only valid sabnzbd command line options should go in there (not the stuff quoted here).
Franz A

Post by Franz A »

jcfp wrote: June 20th, 2020, 10:02 am Nice to see thing worked out. Using the init.d service that comes with the package - as you eventually did - had the side effect of letting you benefit from the sane environment it sets up. Basically, LANG is taken from /etc/default/locale (if defined), and PYTHONIOENCODING hardcoded to utf-8 to get rid of encoding related issues.
Franz A wrote: June 19th, 2020, 2:05 pmEXTRAOPTS=export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
Do note that whatever is set in EXTRAOPTS gets added onto the options the script passes to sabnzbd, so only valid sabnzbd command line options should go in there (not the stuff quoted here).
OK. I hope I understood what you wanted to tell me.
I now replaced the entry

EXTRAOPTS=export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
with what was it before:

EXTRAOPTS=
Looks good - still no warnings in the GUI in the browser.

Thank you for the advice.

yours
Franz